Author Topic: ARMSTRONG - Fermanagh lookup  (Read 36371 times)

Offline alinerog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ARMSTRONG - Fermanagh lookup
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 March 11 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lynn,
  Just recently discovered rootschat and your message re Sarah Armstrong Morrison Cross. She and Matthew Cross are also my great-grandparents. I just completed a Cross family history book (over 200 pages) based on my father's years of research. He had obtained copies of the 1880 and 1900 censuses in Michigan but had no 1870 census.
   Do you have a copy? I have no record of a son named "Matthew" being born to Matthew and Sarah Cross and would love to get a copy of this census.
     Emma Cross Roy was the youngest sister of my grandfather William Henry Cross. The family did lose touch with the Roys I believe.
    I would like to find more information on Sarah Morrison Cross. I would like to know when she left Ireland (and with whom she traveled) and when she entered Australia and the names of the ships.
    Matthew emigrated to Sydney, Australia in 1855 on the Asiatic.
    I would also like to know where you found the family tree online.
    Thanks for any information you can provide.
Mary nee Cross

Hi Armstrong researchers,
I don't know if this is the right family but I am going to list my known info and see if you can help me in any way.  My husband's great grandparents were Mathew Thompson Cross b. 27 May 1834 Prickwillow, Ely, Cambs, England and Sarah Jane Morrison b. Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland - Dec 1846.  Mathew emigrated to Australia around 1855 from England and worked in the Bendigo Gold Mines.  He met Sarah in Australia and they married in Ipswich, QLD 3 Apr 1865.  They left for America shortly afterward (a son Mathew was born in Shelby, Macomb County Michigan in 1867 according to the 1870 census).  The family tree online lists Sarah's father as Robert Morrison and her mother as Annie Armstrong of Ireland.  On the 1880 US census for Michigan I have found a Margaret Armstrong b. 1858 in Ireland listed as sister in law and living next door to Mathew and Sarah.  My husband's line goes through Mathew and Sarah's daughter Emma Cross who marries Oscar Joseph Roy.  Their child is Florence B. Roy born in Oakland, California and then my husband Lonnie.  Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.  Lynn

Offline lschrag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lynn,
  Just recently discovered rootschat and your message re Sarah Armstrong Morrison Cross. She and Matthew Cross are also my great-grandparents. I just completed a Cross family history book (over 200 pages) based on my father's years of research. He had obtained copies of the 1880 and 1900 censuses in Michigan but had no 1870 census.
   Do you have a copy? I have no record of a son named "Matthew" being born to Matthew and Sarah Cross and would love to get a copy of this census.
     Emma Cross Roy was the youngest sister of my grandfather William Henry Cross. The family did lose touch with the Roys I believe.
    I would like to find more information on Sarah Morrison Cross. I would like to know when she left Ireland (and with whom she traveled) and when she entered Australia and the names of the ships.
    Matthew emigrated to Sydney, Australia in 1855 on the Asiatic.
    I would also like to know where you found the family tree online.
    Thanks for any information you can provide.
Mary nee Cross

Hi Armstrong researchers,
I don't know if this is the right family but I am going to list my known info and see if you can help me in any way.  My husband's great grandparents were Mathew Thompson Cross b. 27 May 1834 Prickwillow, Ely, Cambs, England and Sarah Jane Morrison b. Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland - Dec 1846.  Mathew emigrated to Australia around 1855 from England and worked in the Bendigo Gold Mines.  He met Sarah in Australia and they married in Ipswich, QLD 3 Apr 1865.  They left for America shortly afterward (a son Mathew was born in Shelby, Macomb County Michigan in 1867 according to the 1870 census).  The family tree online lists Sarah's father as Robert Morrison and her mother as Annie Armstrong of Ireland.  On the 1880 US census for Michigan I have found a Margaret Armstrong b. 1858 in Ireland listed as sister in law and living next door to Mathew and Sarah.  My husband's line goes through Mathew and Sarah's daughter Emma Cross who marries Oscar Joseph Roy.  Their child is Florence B. Roy born in Oakland, California and then my husband Lonnie.  Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.  Lynn

Offline lschrag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Finally figuring this out again.  I have pictures if you would like them.   Send me message directly and I will send any info I have.  Google my name.  Thanks for answering, Lynn Schrag

Offline LindsayM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 April 11 03:03 BST (UK) »
message for Mary nee Cross to your posting from 2007......I am descended from george morrison (from Relagh, enniskillen) who I believe was a brother to your sarah jane. george and his first wife marie emigrated to moreton bay, australia (now brisbane) in 1863. I have just recently been in contact with lynn. have you been able to further your irish research?? for years I hit a 'brick wall' with the morrisons in ireland. I could not found where or when george's parents robert and anne (nee armstrong) died, and I could not find out any details about george's brothers and sisters. cheers Lindsay

Offline alinerog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 April 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello to Lynn Schrag & Lindsay M--
    First to Lynn--I finally got a copy of the 1870 Michigan census & I see that Matthew & Sarah Cross had a son named Matthew, who must have died as he is not listed in the 1900 census. In that census, there is a Margaret Armstrong listed (as living with them as sister-in-law). Since Morrison was Sarah's last name, Margaret would have to have the same last name to be sister in law. There might have been a mistake in relationship. However, apparently they sometimes used both surnames interchangeably because on Matthew's death certificate, his wife is listed as "Sarah Armstrong."
    The other assumption we might make is that Robert Morrison was Sarah & Margaret's father, but he & Annie Armstrong weren't married (which I doubt).
     Now to Lindsay--no one ever mentioned anything about any relatives of Sarah's, which I found very odd. Now that you tell me she had a brother George who also emigrated to Moreton Bay, that makes more sense because I didn't think she would travel alone at that young age. On ancestry.com, I saw her name listed as coming over on the "Light Brigade." I looked for her father and mother, but never thought to look for a George.
     I would love for you both to reply to me by email ASAP: (*)
I am actually making a trip to Ireland this June & could possibly try to do some research there. In any case, we are all related. I have copies of some info & a photo of Matthew & Sarah shortly after their wedding. Would love to exchange research with you. Would especially like to learn more about Sarah's family. As to Lynn, everyone wondered what happened to your branch of the family once they left Oakland.
Mary nee Cross

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline lschrag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 April 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Okay let's start with some known info-Australian birth records list Matthew and Sarah Cross-her name is Morrison.  1880 census in Michigan shows Matthew and Sarah living next door to Margaret Armstrong and sister in law as relationship.  George Morrison's parents are Robert and Anne (Armstrong) Morrison of Relagh, Enniskillen, Ireland.  In California death records two children of Sarah and Matthew list their mother's maiden name as Armstrong.  By the way there were 11 but 6 died of dysentery.  Other children of M and S-Matthew died young, Lynda C. marries Samuel Davies and moves to Endicott, New York according to Emma's daughter Edith, Ella and Robert died young (I believe),  Lillian Jane marries Frank Brooks Samuel and lives and dies in California.  Frank is committed to an insane asylum in Napa, CA.  They have 6 children.  William Henry Cross marries Elizabeth Goward and lives and dies in Oakland area of California.  Mabel marries Herbert Gurney and stays in Michigan where she purchases cemetery plot for M and S and her and her husband.  They have 5 children.  My husband's grandmother Emma marries Oscar J. Roy (dit DesJardins) who is born in Father's Point, Quebec, Canada and emigrates to St. Paul, MN with his brother.  Oscar works with the railroad.  Emma and Oscar marry in Portland, Oregon in 191ll.  Their children are born in the Oakland, California-they are Eleanor, Clifford, Evelyn, Florence (my husband's mother, and Edith.  Emma and Oscar move to Seattle, Washington and Oscar dies there in 1947 and Emma in 1965.  Florence marries Loren H Schrag, Sr a chiropractor and naturopathist from Oregon.  They move to Soap Lake, Washington shortly after having my husband Loren or Lonnie in Walla Walla, Washington in 1952.  They have 2 more children before she dies in 1959 of leukemia.  As for Emma and Oscar I have little info.  We need a death certificate from Washington I guess to see who she says her mother is.  I have not been able to trace Lynda C. Cross Davies either.  Any info we can find about her would help.  Now you have some more info.  I wish we could all be on FB so we could communicate better.  I hope this helps.  I hope Lindsay sees this also and now we may have his brother helping out. Lynn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 April 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Please remember not to post details of living people- such recent family information can be exchanged off-line (either using the PM system or using the PM system to exchange email addresses).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lschrag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 April 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry only one living person mentioned, I will be careful but please what is the PM system?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 April 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
It was mentioned earlier-
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help pages for more details-
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!