Author Topic: ARMSTRONG - Fermanagh lookup  (Read 36375 times)

Offline alinerog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ARMSTRONG & Cross- Fermanagh
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 April 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn Schrag,
     Thanks for getting back to me so promptly and giving me an update on your branch of the family. I will let my cousins know about you. Wish I'd known before so I could have added you to my genealogy book.
I see you are right & Margaret Armstrong lived next door to Matthew & Sarah in 1870 Michigan census. It is odd she was head of household though.
   You said Mabel married Herbert Guerney, but my dad had "Burton" as his first name.
    Do you have death records of Crosses in CA? Which ones? Do you have Sarah Cross's death certificate? Someone said she died in San Francisco, but my dad thought she died in Michigan.
    How did you know that 6 of Sarah's children died of dysentery? My dad never mentioned anything; I guess his father didn't know or else didn't discuss it. Did you ever hear of a son named Robert of Sarah/Matthew's?
    Lillie married Frank Samuel in Virginia. They moved back to MI with the rest of the family around 1900. After William Henry married Elizabeth Goward in 1907, the two families migrated to California. I know nothing about Frank being in an insane asylum in Napa. However, I do recall some odd story about someone just going to bed and never returning to work.
    My dad said that after Matthew died, Mabel & Burton Guerney wanted the estate settled, so William Henry came home (from San Francisco) to help. They apparently got a farm and the rest of the children got a cash settlement.
   I don't have much info on Linda Cross Davies. My father doesn't have her date of death; only birth & marriage.
   I don't have a facebook account, but will try to take time to sign up.
Good hearing from you!
Mary nee Cross

Offline lschrag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ARMSTRONG - Fermanagh lookup
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 April 11 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary,
Herbert Jacob Gurney b. Dec. 12, 1874 lives on RFD#3 Corunna, MI.  WW1 record on ancestry.com.
I have seen where Sarah died in 1909 in San Francisco but my info (I will check source) says she is buried in Michigan with Matthew and died in 1900.  Emma was a servant in San Fran in 1910.  I don't have any death certificates just info on California deaths from ancestry.com.  Sarah, Matthew, Herbert, and Mable are buried in Pine Tree cemetery in Corunna, Michigan.  Emma was born in Richmond, Virginia-what is the connection?  The photo I have is dated 1896.  Lillian marries Frank that year but the picture has her as Lilly Cross.  Was it taken just before she went to Virginia?   Mae is born in Virgina before they move back to Michigan.  Lynn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 May 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
  I don't think I have any connection to the Armstrongs listed ...and I know from searching that there were "lots" of them in the areas mentioned.

My Armstrongs lived on Ennishmore/Inishmore Isle. They were in Drummee and Tully. My original William Amstrong was b 1764 in Dumfries Scotland. Went to Fermanagh Co and met Jane Montgomery b 1774 (Inishmore). They married and had 18 children (so I hear lol).

Some of these children immigrated to US. In my searching I tend to look for references back to Inishmore Area. There was also a son Montgomery Armstrong b 1812 who married Sarah Buchanan. They lived on Inishmore till 1856? when they moved to Tyrone County near Omagh. I believe many of their children immigrated to US, Canada, or Australia.

Just thought I would put this here in case anyone sees a connection.

Soopy...as far as I can make out Sarah Buchanan was a niece of U.S. President Buchanan..

Not sure what would be available on Pres Buchanan's ancestry but you might possibly get clues!

Regarding Montgomery.. the earlier records for them are spelled Mountgomery

Dave.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 May 11 13:09 BST (UK) »

Hi
  I don't think I have any connection to the Armstrongs listed ...and I know from searching that there were "lots" of them in the areas mentioned.

My Armstrongs lived on Ennishmore/Inishmore Isle. They were in Drummee and Tully. My original William Amstrong was b 1764 in Dumfries Scotland. Went to Fermanagh Co and met Jane Montgomery b 1774 (Inishmore). They married and had 18 children (so I hear lol).

Some of these children immigrated to US. In my searching I tend to look for references back to Inishmore Area. There was also a son Montgomery Armstrong b 1812 who married Sarah Buchanan. They lived on Inishmore till 1856? when they moved to Tyrone County near Omagh. I believe many of their children immigrated to US, Canada, or Australia.

Just thought I would put this here in case anyone sees a connection.
...as far as I can make out Sarah Buchanan was a niece of U.S. President Buchanan..

Doubtful!

U.S. President James Buchanan was born 1791 in Pennsylvania. Father James Buchanan from Donegal (mother Elizabeth Speer). President Buchanan had 6 sisters & 4 brothers but many died young.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 May 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
Yes you are correct, she was a cousin not a niece!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 April 12 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,
I was interested in your post that says that you descend from William Armstrong and Elizabeth Mosgrove.  I descend from William's half sister, Mary Ann Armstrong.  Mary Ann came to Australia to look for William and her half sister, Margaret Jane Armstrong.  She arrived in Australia on board the "Indus" in 1871.  She went to Allora in Queensland to work as a cook at Talgai East Homestead.  There she met her future husband, Alexander Munro.  It was 20 years before she located her brother, and that was through a newspaper article.  She took her son, my grandfather, Alexander Munro Jnr., on a sea voyage to visit Margaret Jane in Sydney, and then went on to visit William in Victoria.  The story  is that my grandfather was 12 at the time, and went away with shoulder length curls, but came back without them.  He also managed to lose his sailor hat in the sea!  I would be interested in any information you may have on William Armstrong and his family.  I'll send you a personal message with my email address.
Thank you.
Best wishes,
Judith.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 April 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Greg hasn't been online since October 2008.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kneemann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 January 13 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm not sure if you are still watching Rootschat but your Thomas Armstrong appears to be part of my Armstrong family. I have Thomas Armstrong born UK? married Jane or Janet Ford in Enniskillen. Children: William, m Elisabeth Mosgrove, Margaret Jane, Mary Anne, James, Elizabeth, Edward, and George. Thomas was a miller or millwright  in Tempo.

My great great Grandfather William Armstrong born about 1820 in Ireland,  was Thomas's brother, and their father  was Robin born about 1877 in Fermanagh, died 1883 and buried in Clabby.

This information was provided by cousins.

I am trying to trace this family. Your William and Elisabeth emigrated to Australia in 1854 with their daughter Ellen, and in 1868 my grandfather Robert, his sister Mary Jane and brother Thomas also came to Australia. They lived in the Geelong area of Victoria.

If you or anyone else can help with more information about the family in Enniskillen or elsewhere I would be grateful.

John.