Author Topic: Lime Kilns area - Greenwich  (Read 6076 times)

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lime Kilns area - Greenwich
« on: Sunday 18 February 07 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what area Lime Kilns covered round about 1819 ?  ::)

Chris
BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Any census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Lime Kilns area - Greenwich
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 07 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Looking at a map of Greenwich 1870 - 1882 there is a Lime Kiln next to a Saw Mill so I dont think its an actual named area,  they are both opposite Coombe Farm.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi patrish

I am looking for Lime Kilns because I recently made a copy from the burial register of St Alphage, Greenwich and this was given as the abode. Other areas mentioned on the same page are Poor House, Infirmary,Church Street, London Street and Lamb Lane.

I have found an old map 1862 - 1871 and still cant find Coombe Farm that you mentioned or the Saw Mill. Where are they in relation to St Alphages Church ?

Regards
Chris
BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 07 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, afraid I wouldn't know, I will try later and post the link for the map,  it needs large magnification to read it therefore you can only see a small area at a time, I am not too good with this sort of thing, you may fare better than me.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 07 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Here is that link, go to Gazetteer, Kent and then Greenwich.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Patrish

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrish, I will attempt to find Lime Kilns near Coombe Farm - though the map is not all that easy to read.

Thanks for your trouble
Chris

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I am posting these instructions in case you are not familiar with these maps, I apologise if you are and already know how.

Once you have the map of Greenwich on the screen choose the + 1 option then the magnify image option, scroll to the top of the map as far as you can go, then using the bottom right arrow move along to the right and you will see the Greenwich Union Workshouse, West Coombe Cottage and Coombe Farm and then the lime kilns and saw mill.

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Found it  ;D - the area is much further away from the centre of Greenwich than I had expected.

Thanks

Chris

Offline lindylou2_2002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 07 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Fams are generally not goingtobe in the middle niether are kilns. But Greenwich isnt a big place no so was probably less so then. I would guess the scale of the Map makes it look further away than it really is.
LON:Banks,Bennett,Cane,Diggins,Elsey,Fautley,Gotobed,Huckle,Hutson,Hywood,Lane,Monk,Owen,Pankhursts,Proud,Sigger/s,Stacey,Voller,Woods
Berk:White, Turner,Parsons
Beds:Channer
Camb:Claydon,Hazelwood,King, Claiden,Forman, Collins
Essex:Sigger/s,Cook
Hampshire: Voller
Kent: Busbridge,Fletcher,Fowtrell,Hall,Payne,Saunders,Souton
Norfolk:Gayford,Turner,Rush,Knight,Hammond
Somerset:Marshman
Surrey:Denyer,Monk
Sussex:Hill/s, Davey,Saunders
Wales:Walters