Author Topic: ARMSTRONG, Thomas  (Read 1147 times)

Graitney

ARMSTRONG, Thomas
« on: Monday 19 February 07 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Some time ago a relative supplied me with some family Gen Data on the above individual. The info was apparently compiled by an independent Genealogist from the DFS area of Scotland (whom I had no obvious reason to doubt).

The data supplied was as follows - Thomas ARMSTRONG, B 5th Sept 1905, Dornock, DFS, SCT.

I have been able to verify all the other Gen details supplied by the same person in relation to all others but I cannot with this. I have been searching Scotland's People (to my cost) & cannot find a Thomas ARMSTRONG born on this date let alone in Dornock (not Dornoch). It seems he doesn't exist.

My question is, is SP's data totally comprehensive for the specific date that I require?
My relative is no longer here, so I cannot go straight to the direct source.

A slightly bewildered Graitney  ???........ & Regards.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ARMSTRONG, Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a Thomas Andrew Armstrong showing on SP for 1905 - Hutton and Corrie, DFS. Ref - 831 Page 6.

It's the only one in DFS for that year.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Graitney

« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget & thanks for your kind reply.....

I have already veiwed that entry & ruled it out, as this Thomas was born 25th June.... not 5th Sept.

Also found another entry for 1901 Kirkconnel but that too's the wrong birthdate..... :'(

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Tis all very strange  ???

I suppose some births might have crept through the net. I wonder if the genealogist concerned looked in local newspapers for the information. Would the Ewart or D&G FHS be able to help.

I've had help from these quarters in the past.

I'll have another look.

Regards

Gadget

There were only 4 male Armstrongs b. Dornock from 1890 to 1906
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Graitney

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget & thanks once more.....I logged two searching between 1900-1906 (David & Walter)....but its neither of these I'm after.

Also expanded search to SCT as a whole for 1905 & got 6 returns. I suppose I could view each record to see if I get a hit with the birthdate but it'll be an expensive way to prove their not the ones I need  :-\.

Even surmised that my Thomas was a "Border Hopper" & belonged in ENG but thats another "barrel of worms" THink I'll be grey afore I settle this one!!

Tried D&GFHS in the past.....Do the Ewart have a website?

& Rgds.... Graitney.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I think our D & G ancestors tried to hide from us on many an occassion  :( ;D :(

Here's the Ewart website:

http://www.ewart.org/Constructions/Library.htm

Gadget ;)

Graitney

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I think that you've more than hit the nail on the head especially with my lot......
Thanks for the website URL & RGDS......Graitney. :-X :'( :-X