Author Topic: Leslie's in Pencaitland???  (Read 12194 times)

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leslie's in Pencaitland???
« on: Monday 19 February 07 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I am having great difficulty in finding the Leslie family for this area!!! my great great great grandfather John Soutar married a Jean/Jane Leslie in July 1828 in Panbride, she was said to be of the parish.  However all census records for her state she was born in Pencaitland, Haddingtonshire in 1806.  I do not have any family records for her at all prior to her marriage which I can only find on a Summery of Accounts for the church that only lists the names of John anf Jean. Is anyone else looking fo rLeslies in the area? Can anyone point me in the right direction.?  I am told she is thought to originate from the Leslies of Aberdeen, her grandfather was possibly William Leslie of Aberdeen.  Any help would be appreciated.  Regards Carol

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie's in Pencaitland???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol there is a Jean K Souttar on the 1881 census born 1806 living with her son John in Edinburgh but born in Fife. A possiblility perhaps?

Regards
Shirley
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley,
thanks for the info, however don't think they are the same as my Jean didn't have a son John, and I have no record of her being alive after the 1861 census when she was in Aberdeen.  Thanks anyway, Carol

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

There is a Janet Lesslie b 20 Mar 1803 and a Jean Leslie b 28 Jun 1813 , to parent Crawford Leslie with different wives, in Pencaitland East Lothian. Their birthe certificates are on SPm the second one Jeanm would only have been 15 when she was supposed to marry , so maybe the first one, that maybe told a wee white lie about her age on census.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Yes I had seen that one, but I am a bit worried by that one as she was never ever known as Janet, and why would they call 2 children by the same name unless the 1st had died?  Guess there could be the possibility that she was born Janet but they called her Jane, as there is some confussion as to the Jean on her marriage cert and Jane in other things occasionaly.  I was just a bit wary of just picking her as the easy option without any other proof.  There seem to be hundreds of Leslies especially in the Aberdeen area.  Can I ask... would you accept the 1803 one as correct?
regards, Carol

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I am Doubting Thomas by name and nature. I have looked on SP, and can see this marriage of John Soutar to JEAN ( not Jane or Janet)  Leslie on 1st July 1828 at Panbride, Angus. Dowloading that would probably get brides father name but not much else, however you mentioned being connected to Leslies from Aberdeen it may help that.

Tom

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom...
Nope, no info on it, in fact for some reason when you see the copy it is actually only a copy of the accounts session listing this marriage, couples names, date and a charge of 1 shilling... no other info at all, which does not help at all with anymore research.  Not sure why it doesn't give you the actual marriage record, maybe that book was destroyed or something.  Not sure where else to look, I like you would like a little more proof before accepting willey nilley. The 3 census records for 1841/51/61 all name her as Jane, but I guess a lot of Scots list Jane and Jean as the same name.  Then again, Jane is just one letter short of Janet! Not sure what to do now!
Regards, Carol

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Again, me or my PC took a wobbly, I have been looking at John Soutar, and he was christened 14 May 1799 to parents John Souter(sic) and Jane Leslie at Panbride, Angus. On the 1851 census John is Princal Lighthouse Keeper at Buchaness Lighthouse at Peterhead.
               That gave me an idea, what about contacting the Northern Lighthouse Board, they may have some details of the Lighthouse keepers and their families, John had 3 daughters when he was at Point of Ayres lighthouse in Isle of Man, all registered in Bride, IOM. Could be worth it. Maybe they can tell when he retired if and when he died. There was only 1 death for John Soutar but it was the wrong one, married to an Ann Tosh.

Tom