Author Topic: Leslie's in Pencaitland???  (Read 12192 times)

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie's in Pencaitland???
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Yes, I have all that info, even got a list of all his career details from Northern Counties, and his death in 1859. Unfortunately it does not list any of his family details, I managed to find a copy of his death resords the other day, he drowned 2 May 1859 in Tyree the largets island to Skerryvore lighthouse.  Unfortunately it does not mention anything of his family at all.  I do have a lot of records for his family, but nothing on Jane except for the marriage and 3 census records, all the rest is guess work, I can go forward, but not back unfortunately... unless I opt for this Janet in 1803, but is it too much of a risk!!!

Regards, Carol

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

Have you tried looking for Jane's DC. This looks like a possibility from SP (the only one coming up!):

1868   SOUTAR   JANE       LESLIE   F   63   ARBIRLOT   /ANGUS   271/00 0005

On the issue of her birth place from the censuses. She was fairly consistent, so for the time being that's all you have to go on. Sometimes people didn't know where they were born, simply remembered where they had spent most of their early life. Hard to say in this case until you get some verification.

On the details for Jane's marriage to John and " ....of this parish", remember that this simply referred to where the bride or groom were living at the time of the marriage banns being read, not necessarily where they were born.

Hopefully, if the above death entry is your Jane's and it includes parents' names, it will give you an area to focus on.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Carol

...have a look at that DC I posted, you won't be disappointed  :)

On the issue of the various entries for Janet/Jane Soutars in Pencaitland, certainly same father but different mothers. As Tom said, father Crawford Leslie first marriage to an Agnes Hunter who was mother to your Jane(t).

Children showing for this couple:

1. JANET LESLIE  Christening: 20 MAR 1803 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland
2. ISABEL LESLIE Christening: 09 JUN 1805 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland

It would seem that mother Agnes died shortly after birth of Isabel and Crawford remarried a Barbara DUDGEON on 30 MAY 1807 in Athelstaneford, East Lothian. A number of submitted details for Crawford Leslie on IGI:

Birth: 1783 Pencaitland
Death: 15 SEP 1859 Dirleton, East Lothian

Children showing from this second marriage:

1. JEAN LESLIE  Birth: 28 JUN 1813 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland
2. RACHEL LESLIE Christening: 01 OCT 1809 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland
3. ELISABETH LESLIE Christening: 03 MAY 1818 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland
4. Robert Leslie Christening: 17 JAN 1808 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland
5. John Leslie Christening: 15 SEP 1811 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland
6. Crawford Leslie Birth: 07 SEP 1815 Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland

Hopefully, Crawford's DC will include details of his first wife's name (not always shown) to further verify.

Regards.

Monica

Have a look at this site, great for showing possible name variants:

www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=janet

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
thanks so much... you have been a great help, I will take a look at all the information, I'm sure i'll be delighted.

And thanks Tom as well, I really appreciate both of your imput and look forward to the results!
regards, Carol

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Sorry to bother you again,  I was just looking at the death register as you said... did you actually see it?  I was a little confussed, it is definately my Jane Leslie/Soutar, great, says she was 63 therefore born 1805/6, however, not sure if it is my eyes, I am weraing glasses and using a magnifying glass... looks like her fathers name is John Leslie, a wright, deceased and her mother was an Agnes Houston or Henston. Looking at the rest of the page I would say Agnes name definately ends with an on not an er and also looks like an S before the t.  Wondered if you could take a 2nd look and let me know?
I have just tried the igi as well... that did actually come up with a match for a John Leslie married to Agnes Houston, but unfortunately that was just left by and LDS member not a church extract.
regards, Carol

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Carol

Your magnifying glass is working fine! :-[ I was in a hurry when I looked at it and obviously looked at half and not the rest. Should have jumped out at me...John Leslie is my husband's name  ::)

Let me go back into the bunker and see what else we can find (keep in mind that it could also be a case of misreporting by the informant). Let me have another look around.

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see any children showing for John Leslie and Agnes Houston on IGI/SP as yet. As you, I can see the submitted entry on IGI for their marriage. Adding more info here, if you search with Agnes's name first and then John's for marriage, you get additional info (this often happens when you search the OPRs for Edinburgh - always good to do the search with the woman's name first):

AGNES HOUSTON     

Parents: Father: DAVID HOUSTON
Marriages: Spouse: JOHN LESLIE    
Marriage:  08 DEC 1804  Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

This entry is however backed up by an OPR entry on SP:

08/12/1804   LESSLIE   JOHN   AGNES HOUSTON/FR2408   M   Edinburgh   EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN   685/001 0530 0165

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Carol

Struggling to find anything at the moment on the parents, but have found a sister for Jane  :)

Janet Leslie, daughter of John Leslie, house carpenter and Agnes Houston, widow of a James Bruce, hotel keeper, died in 1861 in Arbroath, Angus.

Helps makes it real. Always when you are struggling to find anything, helps to find a sibling to confirm the details you have for the parents.

1861   LESLIE   JANET   HOUSTON   BRUCE   F   55   ARBROATH   /ANGUS   272/00 0143

Maybe finding Janet in the early censuses would give an indication from her birth place as to the family's movements.

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 17:41 GMT (UK) »
This is Janet Bruce's 1861 Census entry...and up pops another sister, Isabella  :)

Janet Bruce 55, Proprietor Of Houses, b. Haddington, Haddingtonsh
Isabella Chudesley 25, niece, b. Brechin, Forfarshire
Isabella Leslie 50, sister, Proprietor Of Houses, b. Panbride, Forfarshire
Janet Simpson    18, servant

Address: 4 Hill Terrace, Arbroath, Angus

Isabella's death entry on SP and her entry on Wills & Testaments:

1867   LESLIE   ISABELLA 57   ARBROATH/ANGUS   272/00 0094, and

Leslie   Isabella, Miss   20/06/1867   Residing at Hill Place Arbroath       Forfar Sheriff Court   SC47/40/34

And Janet's refs. from Wills & Testaments:

Bruce   Janet, Mrs.   14/08/1861   alias Leslie Residing in Arbroath Widow of James Bruce Innkeeper in Arbroath       Forfar Sheriff Court   SC47/40/28

On Isabella's DC, father John is down as David (argh!) but shows as Joiner in Panbride, so it would look that this probably where the family settled after the earlier children were born in East Lothian.

Regards.

Monica