Author Topic: Helpful tips?  (Read 894 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Helpful tips?
« on: Monday 19 February 07 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters who do their Irish Genealogy:

Recently, I was helping my auntie with her husband's family tree. We struggled to find any information on his grandfather's birth date.

Until I found his grandparents' naturalisation papers, it showed his grandfather's birth date.

Then I go back to the LDS/Family Search-on the IGI, I used the surname and selected the British Isles then Ireland then the county if you know.

I trawled all through the list of the names and birthdates in the particular county. Bingo! He was indeed registered on the very birth date he stated in his naturalisation papers.

Guess why we could not find him using his parents' names before???

He was registered under a wrong forename so was his father's! Fortunately for us, we know his mother and it was correct.

Basically, I am just letting you know that you ought not to give up on your Irish ancestors if you could not find yours on the LDS/Family Search site.

With this strategy, you probably will find him or her birth entry.

Best of luck to all of you.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Helpful tips?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add this tip:

Be flexible on the spelling of the surname.

I found my great-grandmother's birth entry by being open-minded with the spelling on her surname.

After many years of searching, I finally have her birth entry!

That explained why I kept getting a "no record found" certificate from the Irish GRO.