Author Topic: Can Anyone find a BIRTH for me  (Read 1687 times)

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can Anyone find a BIRTH for me
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I am trying to find the birth of my 2x Gt Grandmother Lettice Thomas c1845 in Swansea Glamorgan. I did send for a birth certificate for a Lettice Thomas born Dec Qtr 1844 in Bridgend but sadly it wasn't my one :'(

She married Robert Hobbs in the Parish Church of Llansamlet, July 26th 1862 it states her age as 19, but her death in Sept QTR 1876 states her age as 31.

I know her parents names were John & Catherine Thomas but I need to clarify her mothers maiden name

Any help would be much appreciated

Sheila
These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can Anyone find a BIRTH for me
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 08:00 GMT (UK) »
There are two registered in Llanelly.

Sep 1842 ref 26 553
Sep 1846 ref 26 643

Llanelly was on the boundary between Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan and the registers are now split between Llanelli and Swansea - might be worth an enquiry with a local registrar who could look it up and only issue the certificate if it is the correct one.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
seem to remember looking for this one before. The family lived in the centre of Swansea so Lettice is unlikely to have been registered in Llanelli (looks to be only Loughor and Gowerton transferred from Llanelli registration district to W. Glam). Several children in the family and most with common names so can't be sure about registrations. On the 1841 census, there is a son called Levi who is 19 months old so possibly this is his registration
Levi Thomas sept qtr 1839 Swansea vol 26 pg 464

He's the only Levi Thomas registered Swansea between 1837 and 1841. No Levis on the 1841 census of Swansea that I can see other than this one, transcribed as Lewi.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting local registrar in Swansea - ask them to look in the records between the supposed dates.

I was once trying to locate a birth record for a Gwillym Davies. From 1881 census I knew he was only a matter of weeks old and had an address. Couldn't see him in any listings. Asked record office - they couldn't find him in their list. Posted a look up. After a while someone suggested Gwellian Davies - registered in area at right time. Went back to record office - they couldn't find this one either but found a listing for Gwenllian - which when they looked at original entry turned out to be my Gwillym - right address, parents and a boy!

Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Welshjo

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated, I might try Swansea record office you never know.

Regards Sheila
These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey

You have looked before for me and given me lots of census info, I am still trying to find my way around this site and couldn't find what I had asked for before, so I am sorry about that.

I think I shall send for Levi Thomas's birth certificate as he is her brother and I just need to clarify the mothers maiden name

Thanks for your help

Sheila