Author Topic: bristol mother and baby home  (Read 15521 times)

Offline mehjer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bristol mother and baby home
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 18:07 GMT (UK) »
 i was born in snowdon road mother and baby home in fishponds bristol, I know it waas closed. Does anyone know if building still there, and where I could find info about it, I cant find anything, would like to know what it was like for the mothers
gilbert ball

Offline Joburg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: bristol mother and baby home
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Bristol Record Office might be able to help.

Regards

Joburg
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline q

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 20:23 BST (UK) »
HI,
Please can you tell me the address number of the Home?
Because I am looking into my mother's past and family tree...
I have an address of snowdon road bristol. Just thinking it might be the same???
Please let me know...
   Thank you.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 09:01 BST (UK) »
Snowdon Road is in Fishponds, and the site of several hospital buildings now. I believe in the past some of these were workhouse buildings, and one was a dedicated childrens home. My mother was born in the nearby Barton Regis Union workhouse (I believe) in Eastville. There is more information & a photos of some of the buildings on www.workhouses.org.uk - search under workhouse sites, then Bristol Incorporation

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hello all

There is a very good local history website:

http://fishponds.org.uk/

I don't know that they will be able to help you with records regarding your birth(s), but they might know a bit about the buildings in the vicinity?

Let us know how you get on!  :D

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline keech

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 August 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Since this is a reply to an older posting this might not be relative at this time. However, there is a wonderful lady by the name of Shirley at this site... http://www.bafhs.org.uk/shirley/index.htm for information on Home children from Bristol.
My grandfather Philip Albert JONES was in the Eastville Workhouse and was sent to Canada in 1905 through the Bristol emigration Society. I do have a picture of the Eastville workhouse at 100 Fishponds road but don't know how to get it to attach here.

Cheers,
Keith
Jones in Bristol,England and Wales. Stevens in Halesworth,Suffolk. Dunphy, Curtis in Canada

Offline infofinder

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, I believe that the house that i am currently living in is the old mother and baby unit i am led to believe this because one of my close friends mum was born here. It has been turnt into two flats and a house i hope this helps you little more and if you need anymore information i wouldn't mind trying to help out thankyou.

Offline Andrew betts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 November 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, I am interested in the location and history of the Mother and Baby home in Snowdon Road. I spent the first 3 months of my life there with my Mother from Feb 1961-May 1961. Any help appreciated ,
Thank you. Andy

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Am replying to Andrew's post of 2013, as I've only just seen it.  Sorry!  The house was 11-13 Snowdon Road, Fishponds.  If you can find images, it looks like two large semis joined together.  I, too, spent time there when I had to give my baby up in 1964.  Good luck, Andrew.  Am happy to answer further questions, if necessary. (I think the property was sold about a year ago - don't know if it was re-developed/changed into flats or offices, perhaps.)
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees