Author Topic: Prince Llewellyn/Cefnglas Farm  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Prince Llewellyn/Cefnglas Farm
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where in or around Merthyr the Prince Llewellyn pub was in 1861? It is listed in the Census as Canal Side, while the neighbours live at Cefnglas Farm.
   At a guess, it's not far from Troedyrhiw, where my 3xgt-grandfather had previously run other pubs.

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: Prince Llewellyn/Cefnglas Farm
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 10:07 GMT (UK) »
It's interesting that it doesn't seem to be recorded in Slaters Commercial Directory, 1858-1859, as shown on Genuki. Maybe it was known by another name??
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/MerthyrTydfil/Slaters-Merthyr.html

In 1865/6 there seems to have been a Duffryn arms on Canal Side:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/Cholera.html

CefnGlas is mentioned here:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/MerthyrTydfil/

I'm sure that you will have read the above items, but, just in case ... :)

Have you tried old-maps.co.uk?
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Tricia - I hadn't seen the item on the cholera, which was both interesting and heartrending.

But I now have my answer, at least regarding the Prince Llewellyn, which was my principal concern - Cefnglas was only mentioned as a possible aid to finding the pub.

Geoff Matsell of the brilliant site on old Merthyr

http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/

tells me that the pub is actually still standing, though it's now a private house.

And a check on oldmaps shows the pub, if not the farm, is marked. It's a bit further down the valley than I'd expected, so it would have taken a fair time to track down just moving around the maps without specific directions.

So I'll be heading off with my camera when the weather improves :) 

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Oh, good!
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 07 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth, just it little bit more info for you - Cefn Glas Farm is slightly north of the Giants Bite in Edwardsville and can be seen above Edwardsville Open Air Swimming Pool [as was!] on the Edwardsville page of Alan & Georges Old Merthyr. In the picture it is shown with the coal tip still in place which has now gone. The back of the Prince Llewellyn Pub is on the right directly alongside the A470 from Merthyr to Abercynon roundabout, just as you enter the 50 MPH limit. It is hardly recognisable now to as it was 25 years ago being considerably extended and modernised. The next pub up from the Prince Llewellyn towards Merthyr would have been Hen Dafarn [the Old Tavern] now a ruin in Pontygwaith!

regards
MarMnkly :) :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, MarMnkly, I'll keep my eyes open. As far as I know, none of my lot ran the Hen Dafarn, but given that between them they seem to have been around most of the pubs in Merthyr, who knows?
  Gareth