Author Topic: Please Help-Longevity of Ink Jet Photos  (Read 10455 times)

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help-Longevity of Ink Jet Photos
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 01:06 GMT (UK) »
You're right Tomkin...........our local newspaper keep everything in hard copy (paper).....they will not trust to CD because of it's lifespan.

Think I'll leave a note with my photo's and family tree........telling the next generation to quickly copy everything to CD and print........and to pass the message on to the generation after that........ ;D
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Tyrone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Millennium Shrimp. "Tied by Me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Maple

Use the web space that comes with your ISP. Upload them onto the internet. You don't have to design a webpage, you can just leave them there for keeps sake.

John in Tyrone
Briggs - Pontefract
Pennington - Wigan
Martin - Hartley Wintey
Silver - Hartley Wintey - Hampshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maple,
Some good advice has been given already here.  I would just add that apparently the pigment-based inks are designed to have better light-fastness than the dye-based ones (which are the ones ordinarily used in home printers).
Your local archive service might have some fact sheets or info sheets about the topic.
Cheers
Prue

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maple,
   You said that you couldn't find anything specific on the internet.
  Try this. www.computeractive.co.uk  This is the website of a computer
magazine that I buy every fornight. It's cheap and excellent value.

For example if you type "printed photo's longevity" in the search box
and select all articles you will find 2911 news articles and 1375 reviews.
Of course it pays to refine the search but I will leave that to you. you can try
CD's or any subject that you wish. just experiment.

On the Home page you will find loads of articles and advice and hundreds of downloads.
 Look for the "free ones".     

This site will stand you in good stead for many years to come on all computer matters.

Regards,
                 Tomkin

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tompkin, Prue and Tyrone

I have finally learned, (thanks to all of you) that the manufacturer claims that the prints from an Epson RX600 will last 22years on premium glossy paper, and up to 30 years on Matte Paper Heavyweight, if their inks and papers are used.  They have more expensive machines whose prints will last up to 108 years, or so they claim. 8)

Hopefully the prices for the more expensive machines will come down a bit in the next few years. ;)

I have old black and white lab processed photos that are beginning to fade after sixty years.  These photos were not originally well preserved, as they weren't kept in an acid free environment.  They were kept in old shoeboxes, and even in old paper bags, and many were dusty and dirty.

Thanks for the link to the computeractive site.  It looks like a very good site
for all sorts of problems.

Thanks to all

Maple

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi maple  :)

The manufacturers probably don't state in what conditions their prints will last that long  ;D  They probably want you to keep them in cold storage in the dark and never look at them!  ;)

Just be aware that they won't last a hugely long time, so make sure your scans/digi images are as high quality as you can make them, and keep a couple of digital copies of each image on DVDs or CDs (which also don't last a hugely long time, but that's another story).

Cheers
Prue

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I believe that as Trish has said, it is worth looking at getting your prints done commercially. Last month I had visitors and ended up getting over a thousand 6x4 prints done for them to take home - at Harvey N' I paid 15cent per print. Larger prints can be done at Snap for as little as 10 to 40cents for A4 (depending on paper), an A1 (abt 31inch x 24inch) can vary anywhere between 20 and 60 dollars. I can't come anywhere near these prices using my own printer, so definitely shop around - not only photographic store but your commercial printers too.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 February 07 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue

I have been searching the Internet and have just learned that Epson has come out with RX580, which they claim that with using their ink and paper, prints will last for 200 years.  :o

That is what I am looking for.  My current printer is two years old and when it  breaks down, I will buy the newer one.  I will have to copy all my photos all over again.

I will make two batches, one almost never to see the light of day, and another to be shown.  Now my only problem is that when I am gone, nobody will toss out those old photos and all my genealogical collection into the trash.    :( I know that this kind of thing has happened before to many people.

Hi Denn,  I agree with you and Trish.  I know how expensive it is to print your own photos, and  I get all my new ones done commercially.   It is with what I think of as special photos, and the old ones that I use my own printer.  That is where I save the money, and the photos come out better.

Regards

Maple

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 February 07 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hiya maple  :)

I had a look at the notes for the Epson printer you mentioned, and they say the following:

"Print permanence ratings are based on accelerated testing of prints on specialty media, displayed indoors under glass or UV filter or stored in archival sleeves in album storage. Actual print stability will vary according to media, printed image, display conditions, light intensity, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not guarantee longevity of prints. For maximum print life, display all prints under glass or UV filter or properly store them. See www.wilhelm-research.com for details."

Basically they are saying that under optimum conditions your prints may last as long as 200 years - i.e. in cool storage, in the dark is my guess!

I personally prefer to keep my peripherals separate, i.e. dedicated scanner, dedicated printer.  Combination machines always seem to compromise on something in my experience. 

Cheers
Prue