Author Topic: More about William Smith  (Read 4720 times)

Online genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
More about William Smith
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I am really enjoying being able to get at the OPRs on Scotland's People and it is coming up with some interesting stuff.

I now know that William Smith was definitely a mason and that he was obviously reasonably well to do. The witnesses at the baptisms of William and Margaret's children included one James Augustus Grant Esquire ( a predecessor of the more famous one presumably), various other Grants of Viewfield, a James Smith, architect ( maybe a brother) and James Simpson, school master of Nairn.

I wondered whether any of these names ring bells with anyone or whether somebody could guide me towards finding out about architects and builders in Nairn in the early 1800s.

Regards,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: More about William Smith
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

Have you thought of checking on the Will & Testaments section of Scotlands People for any entry on William?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is any use but JAMES AUGUSTUS GRANT Esq. was born in 1827, Nairn. His father, JAMES GRANT, was the parish minister and his mother was CHRISTIAN MCINTOSH. Here's the family in the censuses:

1841 Residence: High Street
James, m, 50, minister, Nairn
Christian, f, 50, -, outside county
Margaret, f, 15, -, Nairn
James, m, 14, -, Nairn
and 3 servants.

By 1851, the younger James had joined the Indian army.

1851 Residence: 52 High Street
James, m, m, 50, parish minister, Nairn- Cawdor
Christian, m, f, 60, -, Inverness-shire- Kirkhill
and two servants.

Not essential to your research but it might help you narrow down which James it is.

Online genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Yes I have looked for his will but there is no sign of one online. I feel sure he must have made one and will have to look into it at some stage.

Thanks for the census details for the Grant family. The younger James went on to be one of Nairn's most famous sons, being present at the discovery of the source of the Nile and having plants or animals, I can't remember which, named after him. I have his baptism record and on that, his father is named as William Grant, parish minister -how odd. But there was an earlier James Augustus Grant who was, as I mentioned previously, a witness at the baptism one of William Smith's children.

Back to the search.

Thanks,

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson