Author Topic: Definition please  (Read 992 times)

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Definition please
« on: Wednesday 21 February 07 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone please tell me what "childer" means when entered on a census under the relationship column.  Does it mean foster child?

Thanks in advance for your help.

imt
Gloucestershire: Bathe, Brown, Cowley, Foster, Isaacs,Keey
Somerset: Brown
Wiltshire: Bathe
Yorkshire: Foster

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Definition please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi imt

Where did you see this?

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Childer is a rare and obsolete term for 'children'
Looking for 'childer' in the England censuses gives these results
2 in 1851
19 in 1861
0 in 1871
0 in 1881
1 in 1891
0 in 1901
In all the ones I have looked at it is a mis-transcription of child or children. In the case of 'children' all the children in the family have been bracketed together in the relationship column, and 'children' entered alongside the bracket.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
You might find this interesting

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-plu1.htm

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 07 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these responses.  I must have come across one of the few instances where the word was used in the census in the relationship column.  I don't have the reference number.  That discovery was months ago.  However, my husband came across it again last night where the transcriber had written "childer" for "Hatter" in the occupation section for an ancestor!  It prompted us to find out the definition of childer.  It's odd because we remember the family being recorded in the normal way (son, dau) and then at the end another child being recorded as "childer".  It definitely wasn't lodger or boarder.  The child did not share the same surname as the family which is why we wondered if he was fostered.

I knew you good Rootschat people would come up with an explanation.

Thanks again.

imt
Gloucestershire: Bathe, Brown, Cowley, Foster, Isaacs,Keey
Somerset: Brown
Wiltshire: Bathe
Yorkshire: Foster

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 07 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

If so he was a 'nurse child' and had a different name to the family which was Streather. The term 'Nurse Child' is ambiguous, it could cover a child sleeping in a house for one night, or a case of adoption.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk