Author Topic: Inn- Garden Row, Loughborough  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Inn- Garden Row, Loughborough
« on: Wednesday 21 February 07 22:54 GMT (UK) »
My relative waw a servant at an Inn in Garden Row, Loughborough in 1841.
With this limited amount of information, is it possible to identify the Inn, please?
Is there still a Garden Row in Loughborough?.  If it helps I transcribed the name of the innkepper as Thomas Brand, with a little doubt on his surname.  The innkeeper was 25.

Regards
Reiver

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Inn- Garden ow, Loughborough
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

The 1841 address was actually Biggin Street - - Garden Row was on the previous page - both roads seemed to be next to the Market Place.  The Inn wasn't named.  Couldn't see these streets on a modern map, just a Market Street, but no doubt someone who knows the area will tell you.

Edit: There is still a Biggin Street, just looked on another map
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Pigot's Directory of Leicestershire (1835) lists a tavern called the "Unicorn" on Biggin Street - proprietor William Lacey. Might that be the one?

Other pubs in Market Place were the Lord Nelson and the Old Angel.

It might be worth cross-checking against the 1851 Census (in the hope that one or two local residents stayed put!)

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:34 GMT (UK) »
The landlord in 1841 was definitely Thomas Brand, looking now to see who was there in 1851 and if the inn was named...

In 1841 there was another innkeeper living next door to Thomas Brand, and on either side of the two innkeepers was a grocer.  There were two inns in 1861, the Red Lion and the Unicorn - both of them had a grocer to the other side of them, so if the district was enumerated in the same order in 1861 as in 1841 the one you want is the Red Lion. (otherwise it's the Unicorn)  ;)

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Here we go....

Pigots Directory of Yorkshire Leicestershire Rutland Lincolnshire Northamptonshire Nottinghamshire Lancashire (1841) page 35

Under the heading "Inns" we have the Red Lion (prop. Thomas Brand) in Biggin Street.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Well I was going to say that I had worked that out, as the grocer enumerated after the Unicorn was in Swan Street in both census, so by elimination the correct inn would be the Red Lion.
Whether or not it's still there I know not.
Brownie points all round I think, Dave  :D
Barbara

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Qw  :D   Sorry about the subject line .

I find it amazing and utterly superb how people will go out of their way  not only to answer a question on Rootschat but add so much  extra.  Thank you Barbara and Dave.

The answer of Red Lion was totally unexpected.  John Reynolds who was my relative there in 1841 married two years later and had a son called Gregory.  Gregory, his wife and ffamily were landlords (?) of the Red Lion at the time of the 1881 Census - 40 years later  :) :) :)

Regards
Reiver

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 07 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Now if you'd told us that to begin with!!  ::)
 :D  :D  :D
Cheers,
Barbara

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 07 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I know I feel rather mean  :) :) :) :) :)

I suppose it could have been the Unicorn - and not knowing the inns round there - I suppose it might have been The Whatever :) :) :) :)   I've been wondering whether anything that his father had said about his time there led to his son Gregory deciding to set himself up there.  In the time in between he had been I think In the 'hunting' field as an Ostler.

Cheers
 :) :) :) :)
Reiver