Author Topic: Hoggan  (Read 2549 times)

Offline carhog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoggan
« on: Thursday 22 February 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I am a Hoggan and have so far  traced my ancestors back to a William Hoggan, born ca1725, who was Provost of Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire in the 1770s.  He married a Marion Henderson and they had 9 children that I know of, all born in Lochmaben.  He died in 1780 aged 55.  Cannot find his birth record, so I’m stuck.  Any suggestions?

I’ve also tried (unsuccessfully) to link my Hoggan line with the Hoggans of Keir in Dumfriesshire.  There is a remote possibility that my ancestor (William) may have been related to (a son of?) the James H Hoggan who was a Captain in the 5th Dragoons and Factor to the Marquis of Queensbury at Comlongan Castle in the 1700s. His is the earliest name on the Keir family tree I have seen - no dates given for him - but he married Sophia Johnstone who was a sister of Sir James Johnstone of Westerfall, Dumfries, and they had a son George born in 1741.

Any info on Hoggans in the 17th century would be most welcome.

Offline Gillbrae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hoggan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I too am descended from William Hoggan he is my 5th Great Grandfather.He was Provost in Lochmaben in 1776, in the Council Offices in Lochmaben they have a Copy of his Signature framed on the wall. His house is still standing and is now the Kings Arms pub.
I am descended from his son Andrew who farmed in Dumfriesshire.
I have searched the OPR for Lochmaben for William  but can find no trace of him
William is buried in Lochmaben Old churchyard along with Marion and some of his Children but when I visited the Graveyard I could not find their Stone.

Offline carhog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 07 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello ‘Gillbrae’ cousin!
Sounds like we have similar lines of descent. I am also descended from Andrew Hoggan (my 3rd Great Grandfather), then through his son James who farmed at Gillbrae in Dalton, to his son Robert (also farmed at Gillbrae). Robert married Isabella Carlyle Austin, a niece of Thomas Carlyle, and their first-born James was my paternal grandfather.

I have also been to Lochmaben churchyard and found the Stone for Andrew and members of his family, but not the one for William and/or Marion. 

I have a fair amount of information on the family and would be interested to compare it with yours. Let me know if you would prefer to correspond by email.

Offline Gillbrae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 07 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carhog
We are actually closer related than you think because I too am descended from James. But I am then descended from Roberts big sister Elizabeth Robert Hoggan. Elizabeth was seven years older than Robert.
 My Father has a Sampler done by Elizabeth in 1851 at the farm where they were living.
 I have Census details from 1841, 51, 61, 71 and 81.
 It would be interesting to compare notes by e-mail.

Offline carhog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 07 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi cousin
I tried to send you a personal message with my email address last week. Did you get it?  Not yet too familiar with how rootschat works!!
Carhog

Offline maingram3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
To carhog: We descendants of James and Sophia are not having any better luck finding where James came from, either.  That your William was provost of Lochmaben in interesting, given that James was factor for Comlongan.  There are definitely two distinct Hoggan families in Dumfriesshire through the ages. Our "side" does not refer to the other Hoggan family at all in the letters and records we have.  Good luck.

Offline maingram3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
To carhog: We descendants of James and Sophia are not having any better luck finding where James came from, either.  That your William was provost of Lochmaben in interesting, given that James was factor for Comlongan.  There are definitely two distinct Hoggan families in Dumfriesshire through the ages. Our "side" does not refer to the other Hoggan family at all in the letters and records we have.  Good luck.