Author Topic: FAO OLD ROWLEY :)  (Read 691 times)

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
FAO OLD ROWLEY :)
« on: Friday 23 February 07 12:44 GMT (UK) »
hi
could you please give me some idea if these pictures were taken at the same time?
these are the only pics that the person has posted, I wondered about the style of shirt? whether that was 'around' for a long period, or whether it had a short life,
could you possibly help ?

thanks

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: FAO OLD ROWLEY :)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi DS,

Really hard one to answer this as both have what looks like the same collar to their shirts. To give you an idea the following named collars were in use from at least the 1860's to about 1910, Admiral/Duke/Dux/Gordon/Piccadilly/Rosebery/Shakespeare/Stand and University. Nearly all had something different about them. If it was not the depth of the turn over it was how far apart they were, how deep the "stand" was- it could be anything from 1 & 3/4 inches to 2 & 7/8th inches,  or in the case of the Rosebery the shape of the corners came into play. However going by other things shown in the photographs I maybe able to give a rough guide to the dates when they may possibly have been taken. The top photograph shows a young man with a side parting to his hair and sporting a mustache, coupled with the fact that it looks like he is wearing a "jockey" waistcoat which had a two inch deep square cut to the top of the waistcoat and the deep revers running along the edging of his coat and the high step to the jacket lapel I would place this one to be anytime after 1884 which is when the "jockey" waist coat came into fashion. However as a rule of thumb young men were clean shaven during the 1880's so I would say that it is more likely to have been taken after 1890. The second photograph shows a young man with a side parting to his hair and clean shaven both parting and lack of facial hair point me to this having possibly taken in the 1880's to 1890. hope that it helps.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 07 15:42 GMT (UK) »
O/R

you truly do amaze me, you do see such detail, you'd have a field day on the other forum i'm on, lol... lots of peeps aking when was this taken or how old is it etc...
are there any paticular books I can accquire to further my knowledge, or would i need a library?

the photos are as i'm lead to believe either the same person, (which i doubt) or whcih is more likely the case brothers, the younger looking of the two i flipped to get better idea of the face shapes etc......

thanks hun

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 07 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi DS,

These are two different people going by the shape and formation of the ears, the nose is different as well the bottom one appears to have had his "put out" at some stage. As for the need of a library well........... you could say that I have that with the amount of books that I have which covers most subjects that I have come across whilst doing my family and local history and also other interests that I have, for instance I used to collect cookery books but have now whittled my collection of those down to a manageable 300 from the 2000 that I once had. For the photograph dating I only have three or four books and to be trueful only two of those are really used as reference aids, the rest of my knowledge I have picked up along the way.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 07 17:15 GMT (UK) »
thank you Old rowley....

I always love to read your detailed accounts of dress etc..... a very learned person

a very interesting subject

xx

i have just been in contact with the person whos pix these are and she has sent me a full version, i know i'm asking alot but would you please give me some input on this full version, and if i get the other one  aswell
pretty please, with sugar on :)