Author Topic: tissington family - alfreton  (Read 1359 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
tissington family - alfreton
« on: Sunday 25 February 07 12:42 GMT (UK) »
hi i wonder if anyone could help in finding the parents of thomas tissington born abt 1823 in alfreton, derbyshire. I have looked into this a lot myself in the past - the obvious couple seems to be a thomas and matilda tissington nee cutler as i remember. I think thomas b1823 is at a barracks in middlesex in 1841 (although it states he was born in 1821). The thomas im looking for met his wife in middlesex and settled down there so that seems to add up.

However besides thomas and matilda is another couple who could be thomas' parents. They are stephen and effsheba/hephzibah tissington. Stephen was born in Heanor which is near to alfreton.

I cant deduce which couple are my thomas parents - no doubt the two families are related anyway as they are so close together.

i have looked for thomas b.1823 baptism on familysearch but it is not there...

any help would be great
thanks very much
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: tissington family - alfreton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Ages for Adults in 1841 Census were rounded down, so Thomas Tissington
listed, in Heston, Middx, as aged20 could have been aged between 20 - 24 years.  It also states he was not born in County of Middx, so this one does look hopeful.

The only sure way is to obtain his Marriage Certificate:-
Thomas Tissington  March Q 1843 Poplar V2  Pg 252, there are two Eleanor's listed
on this page, assume you will know which is wife to Thomas, this certificate should give the
name of his Father.
Marriage information from  http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Spendlove.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Alison,

In  your post 17th oct 06, you stated that you had the marriage cert of Thomas Tissington b. abt 1823 Alfreton and his father was named as Stephen .
So why do you think the obvious couple to be his parents are Thomas/Matilda???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 17:57 GMT (UK) »
some evidence from another relative doing research has made me question my original thoughts on stephen being his father - no doubt theyre related but im now not sure whether theyre father and son. Also the names in the thomas and matilda family continue down my thomas line...whereas they dont from the stephen and effsheba family. Just seems a bit odd - both families are from alfreton or very nearby.

I think its prob stephen but i wanted to see if anyone could dig up anymore baptisms that i hadnt found

Thanks
ALison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 22:57 GMT (UK) »
There are 3 Tissington couples who had their children baptised in Heanor 1813-1817 -all fathers coal miners/colliers
George /Mira Codnor park
Children Mary and Stephen ( later children were baptised Ripley Derbys )

Stephen /Hephsheba Codnor
Children Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth

Thomas/Matilda -Codnor
Children Samuel, George.

If you don't have the marriage cert of Thomas, I think the only way forward with any certainty is to purchase it .

Suz

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can you please help I am in a muddle with this.

I have looked at post 17.10.06, you say you have marriage certificate for
Thomas Tissington & Eleanor R. Ridgett, and this certificate states that the Father
of Thomas was Stephen Tissington.

If you have the actual marriage certificate why do you think the information
on the certificate is incorrect?

What information to you have from relative, also researching, that indicates
Stephen Tissington was not the Father of your Thomas = Eleanor?

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline AlisonT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 August 10 06:33 BST (UK) »
I have the death certificate of Thomas Tissington, where it states that he was born in Derbys, England. parents Stephen T and Hephsheba Wright. Age given as 73. Died Balmain, 9a Sydney suburb). NSW  Australia. He was a grocer, and Married to Annie Jane Richardson,\. Signed by W. Tissington, adopted son. No issue.