Author Topic: Catholic Chapel, Dover, England  (Read 1386 times)

Offline tipoom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic Chapel, Dover, England
« on: Sunday 25 February 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a picture of the Catholic chapel, Dover, England . Also would like to know if someone can tell me if the chapel still exixt and if yes how can I get info and documents from the Catholic Chapel. My GGreatgranduncle Michael John McElligott was baptism at that chapel.

Thanks

Alain

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Chapel, Dover, England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 07 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi tipoom
I have hopefully attached a picture of St Paul's catholic Church for you. The history of the church can be found on Bills very good Dover web site. You can also google it and find out more information.
Hope it helps.
regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline tipoom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 07 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Panda,

Thanks for the picture. It is great. Who is Bill's Dover ? What is the web address?

Thanks again

Alain

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 07 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi tipoom
the link is www.eastkent.freeuk.com
If you click on the hyperlink for Dover and then churches. You will see that Bill has put the history of St Paul's church on there. Have a look around and you will see lots of other glimpses into Dover's history. Bill is a member of the local family history society and a fountain of knowledge on all of east Kent.
The church is still in use today. Records are held at the local library and at the regional centres. You may also contact them directly at the church.
regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline malcermie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 07 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a picture of the Catholic chapel, Dover, England . Also would like to know if someone can tell me if the chapel still exixt and if yes how can I get info and documents from the Catholic Chapel. My GGreatgranduncle Michael John McElligott was baptism at that chapel.

Thanks

Alain
There is another Catholic Chapel in Dover Called St Edmund's Chapel. The one in the picture is St Pauls and is the main church. I wil get you a picture of the smaller chapel and info on it in a day or so
Malc
Fisher, Wall, Wallace, Woodward, Marsh, Chapman, Wood, Wileman, Kendall, Taylor, Goldsack, Colsonsacke.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Have a look here: http://www.dover.freeuk.com/church/stedmund.htm

This is part of the same site that Panda kindly mentioned, but I have had to split it again to get more space!

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline malcermie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Remember Bill there used to be a catholic church in Aycliffe, and another much older one in Snargate St, Where Smye-Rumsby Eng. now stands
Malc
Fisher, Wall, Wallace, Woodward, Marsh, Chapman, Wood, Wileman, Kendall, Taylor, Goldsack, Colsonsacke.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I guess you mean the "chicken coup" in Aycliffe Malc - built (if memory serves) in the 1960s.

The first Catholic Mission did indeed meet at a house in Snargate Street (no.45) before moving to a carpenter's loft in St James's Street.  These premises were unsuitable and the Wesleyan Chapel in Elizabeth Street was purchased and restored.  This remained in use until the present church was built in Maison Dieu Road.

This information (and more) is on the page mentioned by Panda: http://www.dover.freeuk.com/church/stpaulrc.htm.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA