Author Topic: Egan's of Brackloon Shrule  (Read 7920 times)

Offline Shrule Egan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Egan's of Brackloon Shrule
« on: Tuesday 27 February 07 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Searching for any relatives or information about the Brackloon Shrule, Co. Mayo Egan's.

Some of the names that are related to the Egan's: Carty or McCarty (Brackloon), Davin (Brackloon), Dooley (Mirehill Headford), Greaney (Ballinapark), Greaney (Headford), Kyne, Crampton (Shrule), Hennelly (Toorard), Garvey (Toorard), Burke (Headford), Connaughton, Tierney (Kilmaine), Green (Galway), Gallagaher, Hughes, Duddy and Egan (Brodella).

I have a family tree going back to Thomas and Mary Egan, both born in the late 1790's.
You can view the first four generations of the family trees of Thomas Egan http://www.carginsoft.com/shrule/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2 and also of Stephen Carty http://www.carginsoft.com/shrule/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9

Thanks for any additional help, Mike.

Offline trudi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Egan's of Brackloon Shrule
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 07 14:43 BST (UK) »
 Hello Mike,
 My Mother was  a Hennelly i believe my GGGrandad Patrick Heneley as he spelt it lots of different variations came from Ireland i believe County Mayo
 circa 1819  ? his son Andrew circa 1846 was in Liverpool and married there and there are still his descendants of which i am one in Liverpool.
Best Wishes Trudi..

Offline Shrule Egan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Trudi,

do you have an additional information that would connect you to the Toorard Hennelly's?

I will be in Ireland in 2 weeks and will be seeing Delia Hennelly Garvey. She is the last of the children of John and Kate (Egan) Hennelly. If you think you might be related to them, let me know and maybe I can get some answers for you, from Delia. She may be 92 years old but has a wealth of information.

Mike

Offline trudi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 07 15:44 BST (UK) »
 Mike thanks for your reply i have only just started to research my GGGrandad Patrick Hennelly and GGrandad Andrew you see the family in Liverpool do not know either even to the extent of where exactly they came from  sorry i have no facts for you.I only have an old photo which my late Uncle Richard Hennelly had i think  it must be a Hennelly with wife and  two girls and a boy it is so frustrating when you cannot place them. Thanks for your interest.
 Best Wishes Trudi..

Offline Shrule Egan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 07 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Trudi,

I searched the info on Shrule.com and came up with a few Patrick Hennelly's and one Andrew but that Andrew had the wrong parents. If you go on http://www.shrule.com/index.php go down the left side and click "Ancestor Search", type in just "Hennelly", all the Hennelly information will come up in various categories. Look through that and see if anything adds up for you.

The picture is John Hennelly, seated to the left and three of his children surround him. Patrick, to the left, Nora, behind him and Mary, to the right. Any of these people have any resemblance to your family?

Mike

Offline trudi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
 Mike thanks for the Hennelly Photo, i think i can see some likeness in the photo of John Hennelly and the photo i have i think it could be maybe Andrew Hennelly as  they look to be dressed Victorian Style Andrew was down as age 31 at his wedding in 1877 in Liverpool  and Patrick Heneley was down as a Farmer,the shape of the ladies faces are like the Hennelly,s my Mother included. I also have Moran  Lynch and Cairns in my Ancestry too

Trudi..

Offline Shrule Egan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 07 21:38 BST (UK) »
That pictures was taken, probably, in the late 1920's or early 1930's. John Hennelly, I'm guessing, was born in the late 1870's or early 1880's. I haven't been able to pinpoint his birthday yet but I do know that he was a couple of years older that Kate Egan, his wife.

Mike

Offline trudi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 April 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Mike as i said i am guessing  that the portrait photo i have  is my gggrandad Patrick Heneley and ii only have  Andrew my G/dad his  Merchant Navy photo and Andrew his son,s Photo at 15 yrs Catherine Hennelly my Mother and some Hennelly cousins from Liverpool they are Andrew Hennellys Children  dob 1905 he had 14 children Andrew James  Peter Anthony Joseph John Josephine   Ann  May Vera   Catherine Sarah  Rita  other  ?
 Patrick  ... Farmer     circa 1819...Ireland
 Andrew ... Milk Dealer..... Dock Labourer... circa 1846..Ireland
 Andrew.... Marine Fireman ... Ships Greaser..... Dock Labour... Merchant Navy
 circa 1879  or 80... England ?
 Andrew dob 1905..Liverpool.

Family  names used  a  lot are  Andrew Joseph Catherine  John   Richard
 Patrick second name.

Thanks for the interest you have shown but i don,t see  how a connection can be made as so little to go on. Hope you enjoy your visit to Ireland.

Best Wishes  Trudi.....

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 10:09 BST (UK) »
Just on the offchance: I'm searching for the Irish origins of my Egan ancestors, who turned up in Westminster in the early years of the nineteenth century. My gg grandfather was George Egan (b. Westminster 1837), the youngest son of James & Mary Egan. James was a builder, possibly the son of a Frederick Egan (if Irish naming patterns are anything to go by), but he must have died soon after George's birth, because Mary remarried - a Charles O'Donnell. Mary put 'Ireland' as her birthplace on the 1841 and 1861 censuses, and 'Ireland' is put as her origin in the St James Westminster Workhouse records. (whereas her sons are charged to the parish because their father, James Egan, had paid rates and taxes there). But on the 1861 census, there are two possible Mary O'Donnells in Westminster, both of whom put their birthplace down as 'Mayo'. Does any of this ring possible bells with your Egan research?
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley