Author Topic: Richard Childs  (Read 2665 times)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Childs
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes and no, you usually find that people either spent thier whole life in one place or went from one end of the country to the other, its a bit of a lottery really.

Its never easy proving conclusively with ancient records, sometimes you just have to go with your gut instinct. and hope you are right until you find something that proves your not.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline scottiow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean, i have a good feeling about this one but will try and keep looking until i find anything that states otherwise.

The Childs family did make slow progress from Worcester, Gloustershire, and a jump to Yorkshire c.1900 for a few years then down to Somerset where they have stayed.

Whereas another side of the family have stayed in somerset, pretty much the same place for c.200 years.

Anyway thanks for all your help!

Scott
Rogers, Swift, Gane, Shellard, Gardner, Fisher, Jones, Wiltshire, Staples, Childs, Drinkwater, Oakley, Holms, Bainton, Ludlow, Tapper, Clark, Hall, Tulliett(Tuttiett), Hiscox, Gordon, King, Mannings (mannams), Hobbs, Grist

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 00:18 GMT (UK) »
You are most welocme Scott, and remember if you need help everybody here is aways willing to try and help.

Patrish.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 14:57 GMT (UK) »

There are 3 births on the IGI of a Richard Childs,

1. 12.12.1783 St Andrew, Worcester Father John Mother Mary

2. 28.7. 1791 Pensax, Worcester, Father Thomas Mother Jane

3. 21.11.1792     "               "                       "                   "

2 nd 3 would indicate that the first child died as both parents are the same.

The problem you have is that it could be either, marrying in 1811 no. 1 would  be  aged  28  no. 3, would be 19, Looking at a map Pensax is a long way from Upton upon Seven. Taking another look at the map Welland is very close to Upton upon Seven so I think that couple are probably the right ones.

Elizabeth Myon ch. 12.9.1790 Welland, Father James Mother Jane.

Hope this helps.

I think you can rule out the Pensax marriage for sure. This Richard and Elizabeth are in the 1841 and 1851 census for Abberley. Richard is aged 58 in 1851 and born Pensax.
Just to confuse things he married an Elizabeth too.
I think that you should do several things:

1. Get the birth entry for James at Upton Upon Severn checked. It may have information about his father's occupation or residence.

2. Ask whoever does that to look either side of that date for siblings in case that gives more information or leads to check in the census. There is a Henry Childes bapt Upton  1813 with the same parents.

3. Get the Welland marriage checked to see if it has any other information. Isn't it after the baptism for James? The marriages for Upton on Severn don't seem to be on the IGI before 1814 so it is still a possibility that Richard married there.

Since James is in the census as a waterman it is possible that his father was too in which case you could be looking for parishes up and down the Severn! It might be worth asking for a lookup in the Worcestershire Marriage Index because that has some entries not on the IGI.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 15:01 GMT (UK) »
The marriage for Richard Childes at Welland has witnesses Sarah Child and John Heath (Pallots marriage Index). Not sure that helps much!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scottiow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your adivce.

I too checked the Pensax childs and realised they were not the right ones.

The baptism for james is at the end of the same year when richard and elizabeth marry at Welland,
3 miles from Upton on Severn.

I agree i need to check more sources than the IGI and will be doing so.

Sarah Child may be a useful name yet.

Thankyou for your help and advice.

All the best

scott
Rogers, Swift, Gane, Shellard, Gardner, Fisher, Jones, Wiltshire, Staples, Childs, Drinkwater, Oakley, Holms, Bainton, Ludlow, Tapper, Clark, Hall, Tulliett(Tuttiett), Hiscox, Gordon, King, Mannings (mannams), Hobbs, Grist

Offline scottiow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Going on your suggestion about the waterman connection Worcester, St Andrews and the city of Worcester itself is along the Severn.

Worth looking into maybe as the richard childs who may be james's father was born there.

All the best

scott