Author Topic: Brother marrying sister?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Joanna Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brother marrying sister?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 November 04 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies.  I have looked up the Post Office directory for 1855 and found a J Burden Vet Surgeon in both Wootton Bassett and Beaulieu so it would appear that it is likely to be just a coincidence that James George and Annie have the same surname and profession of fathers'.

It's also useful to know that there could be errors in the certificates from the GRO and how to check these, so I shall bear that in mind. :)

Joanna

Offline lisachocolate

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 August 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure if you are still using this site? Anyway we seem to be related.
James George Burden had a brother named William Thomas Burden and he is my great great grand father. William had 3 children James Alexander, Helen Florence and Annie Emily. James is my great granddad.

I have found out that James George Burden married a Annie Burden nee Short in 1874. I am unsure why it states the same father on the certificate as you mention? Perhaps her father died at an early age and James took her and her mother in???? We can only speculate...I'm on the case though.
James and Annie had children: Annie M Burden, Kate, Elizabeth A, Albert, Mabel and Leonard. According to 1891 census they were all born in Freemantle. Also on the census they had Annie's mother Ann Short aged (64) living with them.
I have also found out that James George Burden had a business partner Harry Edie and their company - veterinary practice was called Burden & Edie and was located in commercial Road , Southampton - only till 1909 when it was mutually dissolved.
Hope this helps?

Most grateful to hear from any other living relatives from this family tree.
Regards
Lisa

Offline Oliverd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 September 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Longshot on this...........just a thought.

Could Annie have been married to a brother who died ? and accordingly he was marrying a widow of a relative ?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 September 13 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa and welcome,

Joanna has not visited Rootschat for some time but hopefully you will return to view your messages.
I think there is some confusion re the information for Annie Burden.

1851  1834/103/ 7

has James (veterinary surgeon) married to Ann (transcribed as Am) Burden living in Wootton Bassett.

1861  1273/ 148/ 14
Anne Burden is with her parents (John and Margaret Farmer) and her children Elizabeth and Anne

1865 Ann Barden marries Jacob Short

Jacob and Ann Short are visiting John Farmer and his grandaughter Elizabeth Burden

Ann Burden is not nee Short - it is her mother who marries Mr Short.

It therefore looks like a coincidence that the two fathers were both James Burden and both veterinary surgeons.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk