Author Topic: Occupation Steward ?  (Read 9098 times)

Offline jilly43

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occupation Steward ?
« on: Wednesday 28 February 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
on my great grandfathers marriage cert. in 1880 his father's occupation simply says Steward  what do you think this could mean.
Thanks for any suggestions
J
Johnston    Newtown, County Westmeath, Ireland

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation Steward ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 18:59 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of meanings for a Steward.  He could have been a servant of a college who was charged with the duty of catering. The head servant of a club or similar institution, who had control of the other servants. An officer in a ship who, under the direction of the captain or the purser, kept the stores and arranged for the serving of meals; or an attendant who waited upon the passengers,
He could have been employed on a train to serve meals, drinks, etc., to passengers, or have been some one who managed the affairs of an estate on behalf of his employer.
Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 20:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1880 some Manorial estates still existed in which case he would have been the Lord of the Manor's representative.  This would also apply for Ducal estates and simply for the landowner in Scotland.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 23:08 GMT (UK) »
A Steward was also another name for a Colliery or Mining  Agent, and in Yorkshire was a name for a manager of a small pit. An Estate Steward was also known as an Estate Bailiff or Agricultural Agent, or an Estate Factor in Scotland.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jilly43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.  We think he came from Ireland as on  my grt grandfather tomb stone it says of County Westmeath Ireland, so we assume his father was Irish but unfortunately I only have his name on the marriage cert obviously no address.  Interesting to have your views.
J.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 07 20:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.  We think he came from Ireland as on  my grt grandfather tomb stone it says of County Westmeath Ireland, so we assume his father was Irish but unfortunately I only have his name on the marriage cert obviously no address.  Interesting to have your views.
J.

Hiya J,

Many of the Land Agents or Stewards acting on behalf of the absentee landlords in Ireland were extremely unpopular guys who required heavy protection when evicting people from their homes. Once the people were out of their homes the buildings were usually set alight and burnt to the ground.

Christopher

Offline jilly43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 June 07 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for reply, nice to know our messages stay 'alive'
as this was quite some time ago.  In a way I sincerely hope my relative was not a steward in this sense. However, who knows?  I just find it so frustrating I just cannot find any reference to any Johnston's from Newtown, Westmeath.    Any suggestions Chris,  I have paid for research on the parish records, but only two Newtowns in Westmeath are recorded, there are four, needless to say there were no Johnstons in the two that did have surviving records.

Jilly.