Author Topic: "The Fountain" at 17, The Minories - when did it disappear? COMPLETED  (Read 5803 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "The Fountain" at 17, The Minories - when did it disappear?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
a publication: A Dictionary of London... J.J.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=9625
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 March 07 09:03 GMT (UK) »
My! J.J,
You have been busy while this part of the world slumbers; and
you really do get the bit between your teeth when on the case of something.  These are all excellent links, and The Fountain must have rung with the sights, sounds - smells! - and the taste of good beer for many, many years.  I just wonder whether the CARTER's had made the move to number 16, next door, by 1793.  (They were certainly there by 1817...).  But even so, living quite nearby in Rosemary Lane, they must have known about the place and might well have frequented it.
I was able a while ago to experience what it must have been like to live next door to an old London Pub when I visited The Sutton Arms at 6, Carthusian Street, next door to where my gt-gt-gt-grandfather Henry Pakeman GURNER lived between at least 1841 and 1864.  The pub today seems quite old, though my ancestor's house next door is fairly recent.  When I went up the stairs to the toilet - all uneven floors and walls out of true (I promise, it wasn't the drink!) - I couldn't help touching the adjoining wall with number 5 and imagining it was 160 years ago and Henry P.G. was sitting quietly in his chair next door.
But I do get carried away at times...
keith 

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 March 07 13:51 GMT (UK) »
That was most enjoyable reading, Keith...( despite the horsey connotation :P)
and I know most of us would love to experience that same feeling...
I'm glad that there is now protection for those old buildings so that they
can stand for many more years...That one stood all that abuse and age, over 300 years. The concrete jungles we create now aren't going to leave much of a legacy.
 all the best, J.J.

;D Yes, I couldn't resist one more search...(what can I say, the topic interests me, I just did a google whenever I sat down at the computer to check my mail)...this site says the fountain illustration was done in 1796, so it may not have been torn down yet after all. Would the London archives have that information.?..maybe they can tell you who was living at that location at the turn of the century...

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=45069
The Old "Fountain" in the Minories, from a View by N. Smith (1798)

From: 'List of illustrations', Old and New London: Volume 2 (1878), pp. X-XII.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 March 07 15:37 GMT (UK) »
J.J,
Yes, I'm still not entirely convinced that The Fountain was taken down in 1793 after all.  And I'm definitely going to spend a day at The Guildhall Library in London this month to explore their records further.  I do have a note somewhere about who was at The Fountain in those early decades of the 19thC from the Directories they hold there, but not to hand at this very moment.
And finally, I think the main problem with London and old surviving pubs and churches and domestic dwellings is the terrible damage done in WW11 during the Blitz, unfortunately, never mind the developers and the dreadful things that were allowed to happen in the 1960's and 1970's, for instance...
My KERSHAW family lived just round the corner from Carthusian St., in Charterhouse Square, and miraculously the corner  they lived in - late 18thC - is still pretty much intact (No's 12-14); whereas most of the rest of the Square was flattened by German bombs.
Sorry about the horse-y stuff; I've a bit of a passion for Newmarket Races in the summer just down the road.
keith

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 March 07 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I was just kidding you, Keith, I thought it was cute...as long as you weren't picturing an "old mare"...although, she really "ain't what she used to be"  ;D  ;) J.

(Wish I could go with you on that search...insert green with envy icon here)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 March 07 19:03 GMT (UK) »
J.J.,
If there's anything fairly straightforward that you'd like me to look into there for you, let me know.  Not sure when I'll be going, however, but certainly not till after The Ides of March...
keith
N.B. I'm obviously getting rather long in the tooth myself, as this week I had a letter from my dentist saying he wasn't doing my Denplan arrangement any more; just lots of expensive private work - looks like purely cosmetic to me.  So I'm searching for a new dentist now...

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 March 07 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Not hinting, Keith, as I know you have tons of your own stuff to research...
I just want one day to go and see some of the sites, etc. for myself...

I wouldn't know what to ask, anyway, as my place was a "borough of"
I already got a few people mad at me for asking the wrong thing... :P

My wishful thinking runs more along the lines of Lottery winnings and
such so I can do and do it myself....and meet with Annie for a pint somewhere... ;)
5 big lottery winners from my city recently, finally, but not my numbers!dreaming ON! :D

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 March 07 20:04 GMT (UK) »

Don't be telling her that Keith !! JJ will be Goggling new dentists for you next !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

By the way let us know next time you go to Newmarket !! ( I'll look for you on TV !! )

I used to know Cambridge JJ .... we could punt down the Cam and stop at all the pubs along the way !!  ;D

Annie  ;)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 March 07 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Don't be telling her that Keith !! JJ will be Goggling new dentists for you next !

No, I left that for you... ;D    Annie, you kill me...

and I try to goggle as little as possible!  ;D   J.J.

............................Great spellers of the world "UNTIE!!!!".............................