Author Topic: SPENCE,COCKBURN, BAYNE families Dunipace  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
SPENCE,COCKBURN, BAYNE families Dunipace
« on: Thursday 01 March 07 07:44 GMT (UK) »
'Hi list,

I have just received the marriage certificate of Margaret SPENCE who married Fred HULL in Victoria Australia 1859. She gave her parents names as John & Jane ( nee BAIN) SPENCE , said she was 22 at  the time of marriage - so born 1837, was a servant and and was born in Carrickfergus Ireland.

I have  found Margaret aged 20 with sister Jane aged 24 and mother Janet aged 58 on the passenger list of the "ALMORA" that left Liverpool in 1857 and sailed to Port Phillip Victoria Australia. I guess father John, a farmer, must have already died by 1857.

The girls were  ' assisted '  migrants and bounties were paid to the folk who recruited the migrants- more was paid if the person fitted the most needed labour skills- I know Margaret was a servant at the time of her marriage and am trying to find what happened to Jane & Janet after they arrived. Will post if news comes to hand!

Janet SPENCE b 1795 ( nee BAYNE ) died in Victoria Australia aged 64 in 1859, the year her daughter married Fred HULL.
Her parents were William BAIN and Janet COCKBURN. Janet had  sisters Elisabeth b 1793 and Margaret b 1799- all born in Duniface, Stirling, SCOTLAND.

Janet COCKBURN was b 1772 and christened 28 Oct 1772 had one sister at least, Elisabeth b 1776 - their parents were Thomas COCKBURN and Janet MONTEITH - no marriage details.

Janet b 1772 married William BAIN 19 May 1792 and had: Elisabeth BAYNE/BAIN b 1793, Janet b 1795, who went to Australia, and Margaret b 1799 - all born Dunipace.

Another SPENCE family went to Australia as unassisted migrants - James SPENCE and Janet BAIN had a number of children b Barony LANARK - all the children went to Australia and lived near to the SPENCE family from Stirling in Melbourne Vic OZ...one of the dughters, Euphemia SPENCE married John Lamb and with their 5 children, Jane aged 8, Euphemia 6, Isabella 5, James 4, and infant sailed in 1854 to Victoria Australia in 1854. The other children b in Barony may not have married but all lived and died in the Melbourne area of Victoria. I have details of most of these people, but I do not know if they are related to the other SPENCE family who sailed out in 1857

I am wondering how to find John and Janet SPENCE's marriage and  maybe why they went to  Carrickfergus, Ireland- with their 2 daughters.

Any help with these families would be most appreciated

Kind regards
Kiwi007