Author Topic: Can anyone read these names?  (Read 946 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Can anyone read these names?
« on: Thursday 01 March 07 09:42 GMT (UK) »
This is from a Marriage cert in Leicester St Mary in 1844. The surnames are Langton and Grey - can anyone read the fathers' forenames (both are FWKs).

I'm completely baffled, so will welcome any suggestions. Never been able to attach a portion of a document before so hope this works . . .

Thanks
Lesley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read these names?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 07 09:45 GMT (UK) »
It's William Langton - can't yet make out the second one  :-\

Gadget

Added - It could be Walter - the W is the same!  He seems to have a mixture of styles  ::)  The W in the occ column is straight and thw S in Spinster also has the curly start.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
That was quick, Gadget - I was still trying to work out whether I'd finally managed to attach it! Now you mention it, I can see William - so thank you.  Walter does look possible - in fact now I've been told it seems obvious. Thanks again - I can now look them up on the census and hopefully get a bit nearer to clearing up another mystery.
Lesley

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:02 GMT (UK) »
I'd agree with Gadget, the W's look the same so William and Walter.  Not very clear writing though, could have done with a handwriting course!!! ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

bervonian

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree - William Langton and Walter Gray.  In the Oct/Dec 1844 marriages there's an Edward Langton, Leicester 15/188.  Still trying to find the bride's name  :) :)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Actually the bit I copied was from the 1844 marriage cert - like you, I couldn't find the bride, and suspected she was a Jarman (my family). However, it turns out she was a Grey, so I've got more digging to do - know there's a connection somewhere. Looks like I'm going to have to do some digging in the earlier generation.

Thanks again - I'd probably have been tearing my hair out over these names all morning - funny how they look so obvious once someone has told you what they are!!
Lesley

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:56 GMT (UK) »

The bride's name is Mary Ann Gray Volume 15 Page 188 Leicester.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall