Author Topic: Griffiths of Craven Arms - 1860's  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Mountie_Cpl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffiths of Craven Arms - 1860's
« on: Thursday 01 March 07 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I recently learned that my great-great grandfather was born in Craven Arms, Shropshire as per the 1891 Census.  I was wondering if anyone out there had any Griffiths in their family tree from this area or might be able to help me out with my research.

My gg-grandfather was John Griffiths and was born around 1865.  I know, not much to go on.  But thats all I've got.  I haven't been able to locate a marriage record for him anywhere, but he had 5 children with Jessie Cotterill who was born in Birmingham.  In the 1891 Census, they and my g-grandfather, John (born in Aberystwyth, Wales, 1890), were living in Weston Supermare, Somerset.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice provided.

Dan
Surnames:  Griffiths and Cotterill

Counties:  Shropshire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire in England and Cardigan in Wales

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths of Craven Arms - 1860's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you located them on the 1901 census?  Although the 1891 image does look like Craven arms - it could also be Cavan (Ireland)

I can't find an 1871 entry for him - have you checked the 1881 at www.familysearch.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mountie_Cpl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths of Craven Arms - 1860's
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I have found them on the 1901 Census living in Bristol, Gloucestershire.  The problem is both my g-grandfather and my gg-grandfather for some unknown reason were not living with the rest of the family in 1901, or at least when the census was taken.  Nobody in my family knows why.

As for the 1881 Census, I have not had any luck with my gg-grandfather not knowing exactly when he was born nor who his parents were.  My gg-grandmother, Jessie, was living in an orphanage in and around Birmingham, if its the right person, with several other siblings.

Dan
Surnames:  Griffiths and Cotterill

Counties:  Shropshire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire in England and Cardigan in Wales