Author Topic: What Brought you to Genealogy?  (Read 8461 times)

Offline joanne56

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
What Brought you to Genealogy?
« on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:23 GMT (UK) »
I am doing a foundation degree in History and Heritage and have to write an essay accounting for the recent rise in popularity of Genealogy.
What better way to research the subject than to ask my fellow Rootschat members what inspired them to delve into the past?
How long have you been interested?
Were you doing research long before the Internet?
Were you inspired by TV programmes?
Or like me stumble accross it accidentally on the internet?
Has it lead to an interest in social history?
Why are some people so addicted whilst others have absolutely no interest at all?
What do you think we get out of it?
All replies will be gratefully recieved and all opinions, thoughts, reasons will bear weight.

many thanks
Joanne

Gorman, Kelly, Shields, Brannan; Scotland/Ireland
Bailey,Macclesfield/Manchester
Parry, Davies; Staffordshire/ Manchester
Siddall, Walker, Mercer; Manchester
Davis, Henshaw; Middlesex/London
Wicks, Harbor; Berkshire
Weedon, Harland;Yorkshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What Brought you to Genealogy?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne

I started my family history nearly 3 years ago which is since the Internet made it easier. 

I became interested in finding out more after finding my gran's family bible in the attic and finding a list of her grandparents names and dates of birth.  I didn't know who these people were and wanted to find out.

It has most definitely led to an interest in social history, I got bored quite quickly which just chasing names and wanted to know more about the lives of these people and the places they lived in.  I don't just want to know their names, I want to know who they were, what made them tick.

It reawakened my interest in history and I have just started studying a History Masters with the OU (for my sins!!!)

I thik some people are just more curious than others and want to know where they came from, how did they arrive at this point in their families history.

Good luck with the course!

Kerry :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I started 30 years ago when my Dad died, and I realised that I knew nothing about his family, and knew nothing about his parents. I slowly found out info, but it was hard work having to visit the Family Records Centre and leafing through books.

Then it came online, and it all got much easier, and more enjoyable.

Then came Rootschat and it all got even better!

And yes, I have now got a greater interest in social history.

No, I am NOT addicted. I can give it up any time I want  :-\

What will I get out of it? I now know loads about my family and have some good RC friends.

Good luck with your essay/degree  :)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne,

I think I was just a curious child, and when I was 13 found a box of old photos and certificates that were my great grandmothers. She had kept a box of her grandparents things and I think I got my family history gene from her  ;D

Honestly I do think that there is a "gatherer" or "story teller" for each family, someone always seems to take on the role. Some people aren't interested at all and some seem to need to pass on the information to others....obviously I fall into category number 2!

And for me yes it has lead into a fascination with early history (of Australia particularly). And I get a great kick out of it, I feel like my ancestors have left me little clues and that they want to be found and have their story told. I also think that it is vital to know where you come from, I don't mean just where physically but from what type of people. It is a great leveller when you know that famous people have come from the same humble beginnings and have the same blood running through the veins. Also interesting to see what has been passed on, in respect to jobs, homes etc.

And yes I started before the internet became big and have been doing it for just over 13 years now.

Loving every minute too  ;D

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I started when I was about 8  :)

My Mother and her sister used to spend hours at Christmas talking about their ancestors and I became fascinated. Then My mother was given the family bible and all those lovely enclosures - certificates, in memoria, flowers from weddings and funerals and aniversaries, newspaper cuttings and bits from church magazines got me going. My Father's kin were mostly local so they weren't as interesting to an 8 year old  :(

Since then I've been hooked but I've only really had much time to do anything really detailed for about 6-7 years when I became semi-retired.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
8! You must be approaching your half century of genealogy soon, Gadget... ;D

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline joanne56

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:48 GMT (UK) »
A Gatherer, story teller, I think thats me too. I am the eldest child of the family and perhaps I see it as my duty.  Are any of you the eldest child?

Joanne
Gorman, Kelly, Shields, Brannan; Scotland/Ireland
Bailey,Macclesfield/Manchester
Parry, Davies; Staffordshire/ Manchester
Siddall, Walker, Mercer; Manchester
Davis, Henshaw; Middlesex/London
Wicks, Harbor; Berkshire
Weedon, Harland;Yorkshire

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Nope...... middle child syndrome here!!! My sister, the eldest doesn't seem interested. She likes the stories, especially if they are juicy but won't do any research  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 07 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Are any of you the eldest child?

Eldest, youngest and only! So you might be on to something...

meles