Author Topic: PUFFITT (& variants), Filkins Oxfordshire, All dates  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Myfi!

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • flora
    • View Profile
PUFFITT (& variants), Filkins Oxfordshire, All dates
« on: Wednesday 24 November 04 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Trying to gather information on the 'PUFFITT' family of Filkins Oxfordshire.

spelling variations of the name are PUFFETT/PARFETT/PARFITT

Thanx,

Sharon :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
BERRY-Wexford, Ireland>England
BERNEY- Tullowbeg, Co. Carlow
MUSTY- Oxfordshire>Wiltshire>India
PUFFITT-Filkins,Oxfordshire
HARNESS- EastRiding,Yorks. & Lincolnshire
LANE- India
STOLLERY-Suffolk
HERCLIFF -East Riding, Yorks

RIP 2012

ABBAY/ABBEY Yorkshire to St.Petersburg Russia

Offline Almon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: PUFFITT (& variants), Filkins Oxfordshire, All dates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 12:03 BST (UK) »
There is still a family of Puffits living in and near Filkins, but I don't think they are internet-connected, so I imagine you are in touch with them by other means.

However, some years ago, Jack Puffitt (sadly now passed on) gave me some notes of his family records covering the 1841, 1851, 1871 and 1881 Censuses. The 1841 section is headed by William Puffet, 45, a Shepherd, and includes a John apparently aged 5, another aged 30 and a third aged 24, the latter two both described as agricultural labourers. The youngest of these is probably the John Puffet born in Filkins in 1836, who became a noted Morris dancer and is mentioned in Keith Chandler's excellent history and Gazetteer of Morris Dancing. Another John appears aged 2 in the 1851 record, so presumably this is the 1849 one you mention.

A friend of mine, a member of another old local family, has recently completed a major piece of work computer-recording the old Filkins and Broughton Poggs parish records. I would be happy to pass on your query if you wish.

Almon