Author Topic: Ship/Driver/Hancock  (Read 9736 times)

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ship/Driver/Hancock
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Twink,
I have access to a Shipp family tree.

As well as Mary who was the oldest child of William Shipp and Flower Driver, they had the following children.
John Shipp b 1820 Bottisham Lode died Crookwell NSW Australia 1900.
Thomas Shipp b 1823 Bottisham died Keiraville NSW Australia 1896.
Ruth Shipp b 1825 Bottisham died 1893 Wollongong, NSW Australia.
Hannah Shipp b 1827 Bottisham died 1898 Bottisham Lode.
Avis Shipp b Bottisham 1831, no date of death.
William Shipp b Bottisham 1834 died 1912 Keiraville, NSW Australia.
Samuel Shipp b Bottisham 1843 died 1911 Long Meadow Lode.

William Shipps parents were John Shipp b 1747 Bottisham died 1807 Bottisham and Ruth Ridgel b 1756 Bottisham died  1845 Bottisham.
Flower Drivers parents were Thomas Driver b 1753 Fulbourn died 1809 and Anne Gibbons b 1754 Bottisham (no date of death for Anne in the tree).

Benjamin Hancock and Mary Shipp had four children three of whom have already been mentioned in a post on this thread Mary, James and Flower the fourth child they had was Avis b 1847 Swaffham Bulbeck died 1881 Swaffham Bulbeck.

Hope this has been of some help.
Regards
Lyne

PS adding this quick footnote, you probably know all of this by now as I have just seen the date of your orginal post Ooops.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Twink
My husband is also descended from Benjamin Hancock and Hannah Adams who married in Swaffham Bulbeck about 1776, as Ben points out, one of their sons was James Hancock too, maybe he is the father of your Benjamin?

Brenda
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Lancashire - Stirrup, Molyneux, Rudd, Golding
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
Berks - Cruttwell, Bunce, Batten
IOW - Roach, Robinson
Cornwall - Doney, Gumb, Goyne
S Wales - Thomas, Dickinson (via Cumbria)
Coastguard Families: Clark, Fuller, Grant

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 June 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello, Twink
     I have been researching the Hancock family for many years.  Benjamin Hancock, bp. Dec. 25, 1754, Swaffham Bulbeck, bur. Feb. 3, 1835 at Swaffham Bulbeck at the age of 81 was married to Hannah Adams, bp. Feb. 29, 1756 Fulbourn All Saints, Camb., d. according to her death certificate, Jan. 23, 1844, Swaffham Bulbeck, Camb.   They were the parents of my great great great great grandmother, Ann (Hancock) Beard who was bp. Aug. 9, 1778, Swaffham Bulbeck.
     Benjamin Hancock was the son of James Hancock and Martha Ostler.  While it is true that James Hancock married Mary Defew Oct. 7, 1733, Swaffham Bulbeck, she was buried Dec. 22, 1737 at Swaffham Bulbeck.  James Hancock then married Martha Ostler on Dec. 12, 1738 at Stow Cum Quy, Camb.
     My main interest are the parents of James Hancock.  On-line sources suggest that he was bp. Apr. 28, 1689 at Fulbourne, All Saints, Camb. son of James Hancock and Grace Joslyn.  James Hancock and Grace Joslyn were married June 11, 1686 at St. Sepulche, Camb.  I believe that the James Hancock, bp. 1689 was the father of the James Hancock that married in 1733 and 1738.  In 1979 at the Society of Genealogists, London, I found the following (I believe on microfiche):  James Hancock son of Sarah Munns (no father) bp. Oct. 4, 1710, Camb. St. Vicars.  My problem now is the realization that there is no St. Vicars.  This bp. is not recorded in the Fulbourne, St. Vigor, Camb. parish records.  I live in the United States and have been unable to return to the Society of Genealogists to find the source for this baptism.  I have, however, located the bp. of Sarah Munns (Munds), Dec. 31, 1693, Bottisham, Camb., daughter of Thomas and Mary Munns.  Any help would be appreciated.