Author Topic: Census look-up request - HARE  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Census look-up request - HARE
« on: Friday 02 March 07 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I posted a request for some census look-up's relating to this family to this earlier this week, which Geoff E kindly answered.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,217241.0.html

This has led on to some more names and I'd be very grateful for some more census info if anyone would be so kind.

1871 census - John HARE, born c.1799 Ludford, and his wife Elizabeth, born c.1805 Thornton Le Moor.  John is variously described as an ag lab and a cottager, and in 1861 they were at South Owersby.  I believe John died in 1875 so this would be the last census he appeared on.

1841 and 1851 census - Andrew and Frances HARE (John's parents).  Andrew HARE was born c.1775 in Nettleton.  I suspect Andrew died in 1849 and Frances in 1859.  I have no further details on Frances and would love to find either of these two on a census.

Any help very gratefully received.

Jo.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census look-up request - HARE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 07 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

RG10/3425/31
South Owersby
John HARE 70 AgLab, Ludford
Elizabeth 65 Thornton le Moor
Charles 26 farm Lab, S Owersby
*Annie (g dau) 14 Kirton

*Indexed as Annis if that makes more sense.

HO107/641-16/6
North Owersby
Andrew HAIR 62 AgLab
Frances 72
Not Known 25 AgLab

Frances buried 25 Feb 1859 (90)
Andrew 9 Nov 1869 (66)

Owersby
Frances HARE (wid) 83 Swinop
John TOMLINSON (g-son) 25 AgLab, Thornton
Mary 26 Willingham
Cristopher RYE (vis) 70 Lab, N Owersby

I suggest Swinop may be Swinhope, about 8-9 miles to the east of N Owersby.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 07 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Thanks so much for the census and burial info.  :)

Your suggestion of Swinhope for Swinop does make sense.  I have found a marriage for Andrew Hare and Frances Turner, Oct 30 1797 at Owersby (where the family later lived although the eldest son John was born at Ludford for some reason).

On the IGI there are three possible baptisms for Frances given her age on the census.  One I think I can discount but the other two are:

Frances Turner, parents Edmund and Mary, 30 Apr 1764, Kirmond Le Mire
Frances Turner, parents Robt and Ann, 8 May 1768, Cuxwold

Both of these are under 4 miles from Swinhope and so both are possibilities although the Cuxwold one is the closest match if she's given her correct age.

I'm intrigued as to who the 'Not Known' is on the 1841.  How can you not know who is living in your house?  I presume the enumerator forgot to write down the name.  Oh well, one more mystery to try to solve.  ::)

Thank you,

Jo.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 07 14:12 GMT (UK) »
On the IGI there are three possible baptisms for Frances given her age on the census.  One I think I can discount but the other two are:

Frances Turner, parents Edmund and Mary, 30 Apr 1764, Kirmond Le Mire
Frances Turner, parents Robt and Ann, 8 May 1768, Cuxwold

Both of these are under 4 miles from Swinhope and so both are possibilities although the Cuxwold one is the closest match if she's given her correct age.

Your thoughts on the three baptisms are the same as mine.  The names of Andy and Fan's                                                                                                                                        kids doesn't help does it (if we accept that his mother was Mary).  What about grandchildren's names?

Re "Not Known": As each of them said to the other a couple of days later ... "I thought he was your friend!"

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 07 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Re "Not Known": As each of them said to the other a couple of days later ... "I thought he was your friend!"
  :D

I've been looking a bit more on the IGI and on Hugh Wallis' site.  Edmund and Mary Turner seem to stay in Kirmond Le Mire, whilst there are two baptisms to Robert and Ann in Cuxwold (Frances in 1768 and Philip in 1770) and then another two in Swinhope (Mary in 1775 and Richard in 1777), and can also possibly fill in the gap with Robert baptised in Healing in 1772 and William baptised Stallingborough in 1774, neither of which are too far away.

None of the names seem to occur in the grandchildren, although there are another two sons of Andrew and Frances (William born c.1800 and Thomas born c.1807, both Owersby) who hopefully went on to have families so it might well be worth my while to try to trace them.

Jo.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 07 14:35 GMT (UK) »
The fact that Robert and Ann moved to Swinhope (I bet it's pronounced Swinnup) when Fran was little is certainly persuasive.

Offline Darren H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 November 17 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I think it's safe to say the Frances Turner in question is the one baptised at Cuxwold in May 1768 to Robert and Ann Hare.

Here are the children of Robert and Ann Hare, along with the places of their baptisms:

Frances (baptised at Cuxwold, 1768), Philip (baptised at Cuxwold, 1770), Robert (baptised at Healing, 1772), William (baptised at Stallingborough, 1774), Mary (baptised at Swinhope, 1775), Richard (baptised at Swinhope, 1777)

Notice that Swinhope comes up a few times.