Author Topic: IGI - Irish records  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: IGI - Irish records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

If you are fairly confident about when they were married, I would put a wee request in with this website I mentioned earlier as it is only one pound per year to look up.

Do not be put away by the word "ulster" in their website--the indexes are same all over Ireland up to 1922. So, you can get same reference information.

The LDS website has a good explanation on how it works--it all depends on which centre you are going to. Alternatively, you can always ring them up and ask few questions about it.

I hope I did not confuse you terribly in the beginning!

Wish you the best of luck and every success in finding your gg grandparents' marriages!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Tees- Registry Office marriages would be separate from church marriages so perhaps that's why you've found them.

Aghadowey,

Yes, I suppose so. Really, I found this record on the other website I was searching for their descendants--did not expect to find such a record with the given information I know about my ancestors. It was truly a finding for me and my family.

Honestly, I would never thought about obtaining a marriage record on this couple because it was pre-1864 and they were not "wholly" Protestants. There were such couples like my ancestors in the indexes pre-1864 even the Catholics (not so many of them you can say).

Worth a try--never know unless you try.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 07 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,

I must admit I hadn't noticed the very reasonably-priced searching service offered by www.familyulster.com. I would need them to search 1866, then if that failed 1865, and so on down to about 1861. I know the surname of husbands and wifes. Are they amenable to this kind of search - paying £1 units unitill they find a match?

Thanks,
Chris.
Allonby, Burns, Ibison, Park

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 March 07 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,

I must admit I hadn't noticed the very reasonably-priced searching service offered by www.familyulster.com. I would need them to search 1866, then if that failed 1865, and so on down to about 1861. I know the surname of husbands and wifes. Are they amenable to this kind of search - paying £1 units unitill they find a match?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yes, you just pick year(s) you want them to search with the surnames &  names to match against. They will do it for you.

For example: You pick 1867 to start with. Then, you stated that you are looking for the couple who married in Co Down and their names are: John Smith & Jane Eliza Woods.

The people there will search in 1867 Marriage Indexes to see if there are any John Smith first. If they find a John Smith or two then they will look for Jane Eliza Woods to see if the reference number is exactly same as one of two John Smiths. If so, they will say so. If not, they will let you know that it is negative result.

You can decide whether you want to purchase other year to look up in. I did that myself with one of my ancestors. Buying one year by year until I got him.

Let's hope the surnames were not too common, if it is too common then you would do much better if you give them a general idea of which county or registration district they may be in.

I may suggest one thing--tell them to include any possible varients on the surnames' spellings to avoid any "missing" out on your couple. 

They will search the indexes if you were not sure where your couple were married. As long as you have the names, that is what matters.

Yes, I think it is a reasonably priced service.

Do let us know how you get on with this couple, would you please?  :)

Kind Regards,

Tees

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 March 07 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,

Yes, I'll let you know how I get on. The first couple I have in mind are Bridget Fielding and John Clark, probably catholic marriage in 1864 to 1866.

I also have Patrick Burns and Mary Carroll, again catholic, and again about the same years. While the female names are not too common, the male names certainly are. I just hope the marriages did not precede catholic registration.

Regards,
Chris.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 March 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

You may be in the luck since you have not so common surnames.

Just make sure that you want all the varients on the surnames you ask for.

That mean you have to pay one pound per year on each couple. They will not allow you to search one year for two couples for just one pound.

That means you will have to order two 1867 so on.

Good luck! I hope you hit a jackpot this time!

I was surprised to find my ancestors in the indexes as I would never dreamt that they would be there!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 March 07 13:37 GMT (UK) »
No luck, I'm afraid. FamilyUlster searched 1864-1866 for Bridget Fileding and John Clark(e) but didn't find any reference to a marriage. Back to square one unfortunately. Regrettably I don't even know the parish or village in County Donegal in which they may have got married.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 March 07 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

I am sorry that your result from family ulster was not successful one. I hope you did make a point saying that the surnames may be mistranscribed when you requested a look up.

I think you would have to contact the heritage centre in Co Donegal and pay for a commissioned research. I am sure your couple were married in one of the churches there.

Google for it or hopefully someone here will give you the website so you can contact them.

The years you quoted were the early years of Civil Registration--Irish were slow to take up on it in the very beginning.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 March 07 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Here is the webpage filled with a lot of information on Co Donegal.

And one of links listed is very good. Worth your time to research which link(s) is good to you to follow up on.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irldon/

I wish you the best of luck and every success in tracing your couple!

Kind regards,

Tees