Author Topic: Local newspapers - inquest information  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Local newspapers - inquest information
« on: Saturday 03 March 07 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am hoping someone will be able to help, I would like to know the details of 2 inquests that took place. one a Henry Fenwick died at Newbiggin by the sea inquest held on 6th April 1895, and the other Mary Storey also died  at Newbiggin, inquest held 16th September, 1896, I am not sure how to find details of these, or what local newspaper it would have been recorded in, all help very gratefully received  :)
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
Re: Local newspapers - inquest information
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 07 18:05 GMT (UK) »
The local free paper is the News Post, this was originally the Ashington Post and Blyth News.  It has a column for 100 years ago, 75 years ago, 50 years ago etc so they might be able to help you. 

It is also possible they were reported in the Newcastle papers.

Irene
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 March 07 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene B,
Thanks for your reply and info, would you know how to find details of addresses or email addresses of these papers?, as I am not local I would not be able to do these searches in person.  :)
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 March 07 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I googled News Post Northumberland and got this

Northumberland News Post Leader
NORTHEAST PRESS LTD
17 NEWGATE STREET
MORPETH
Northumberland
NE61 1AW
Tel: 01670 516066
Fax: 01670 503805

Newcastle papers 'The Journal' and 'Evening Chronicle' are still being published so you should be able to find them via the internet

Irene B
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline modem

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pejay

Alternative is to contact a nearby library with a local history section. Many of them have archived copies of local papers. I have found that they usually just charge for the cost of copying and P&P. Google the relevant local authority website then go to Library Services to see what they hold and the services they offer. If it's not clear there's likely to be an email contact address for the Library concerned where you can ask whether they can help you.

The other more expensive route is through the County Records Office where you will usually have to pay for a minimum/set search time even if it turns out that the records have not survived.

Best wishes

Modem

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 07 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene and Modem,  thanks for your replies, I will do as you both suggest and see what info I can get.  :)

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 07 14:37 GMT (UK) »
hi peejay
i got one of my relations inquest from local library all from newspaper the whole inquest in print so i think you will be lucky
lila
downie/north shields.vickers/durham. bugg/middlesbrough.storke/ middlesbrough.laityhelston cornwall.

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 07 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lila,and thanks for your reply, I will try the local library and see what info I get, fingers crossed, .....   toes too probably, do you know which would be the local library for Newbiggin by sea,  would it be Ashington or maybe Morpeth?  :)

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 07 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I think Morpeth is the main library, but it might be worth checking the Newcastle papers at the Newcastle City Library Local Studies dept (in temporary quarters at the Civic Centre I believe)

Irene B