Author Topic: COMPLETED Tom Dennis KENDALL Newspaper Reporter  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Mborrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Tom Dennis KENDALL Newspaper Reporter
« on: Saturday 03 March 07 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear All
         I am trying to piece together the short life of Tom Dennis KENDALL he was born in Hull in 1842 the only child of John and Fanny KENDALL. He became a reporter in London from his father's will in 1875 Tom is living at 45 Fleet Street City Of London and Parliamentary reporter. IN the 1881 census he is living in Camberwell and his death certificate in Dec 1881 gives and address of Tay Lodge Bushey Hill Road Camberwell Surrey.

Anyone have an idea as to where a person may be buried who lived in this area?

What would be the newspaper to look in for an obituary (and which library may have a copy)

Are there and trade/residential directors covering 1870-1881 that he may be listed in would love to know who he wrote for.

All advise help greatly appreciated.

Maria
BOCOCK:-Lincs
BORRILL;-  Hull (occ Bakers) & Grimsby
CLARVIS:- Any
KENDALL:-N.Lincs, Hull (1860+) esp Primitive Methodist's

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Dennis KENDALL Newspaper Reporter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 07 17:44 GMT (UK) »
He's burial could be at Nunhead cemetery or
Camberwell Old cemetery.

Sue
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 07 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Gravesearch enquiries can be made to Southwark Council who, at the time of writing, make a charge of £11 for each name that they search in the records.

If you think that a relative might be buried in Nunhead Cemetery then please write in the first instance to:

The Superintendent of Cemeteries,
Camberwell New Cemetery,
Brenchley Gardens,
London,
SE23 3RB,
England

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/ParksSection/Cemeteries/

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Mborrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 07 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you quick reply, I am new to research in London though not to Family History
Maria

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 07 14:26 GMT (UK) »
from freebmd he married in 1870; what was his occupation and address then, do you know?

www.historicaldirectories.org shows one hit for him in 1878 (search for Kendall Thomas Dennis), in Surrey, at Tay Lodge.

The address of '45 Fleet Street' might be a clue as to who he worked for, as I would consider this more likely to be an office address (Fleet Street being the traditional home of the British press) than a home address for him.  In 1882 the offices of The Scotsman were situated here (again from the historicaldirectories site)

http://archive.scotsman.com/pricing.cfm - the archives of the Scotsman brings up one entry for searching with the exact phrase Tom Dennis Kendall, from 1872.  You'd need to pay for a day pass to see this (and maybe find a few other hits with a wider search criteria - I'd suggest checking for 'Tay Lodge', for example).

His family are in 1871 indexed as 'Rendall', in case you don't have this:
RG 10/677 32/13
16 Camberwell Road South (there's a total of ten people at the address, seperated into four households)
Thomas D. Rendall (could easily be Kendall, the R/K is quite floridly written and a bit faded, too), 29, Journalist, b. Hull
Jane, 27, wife b. Eton, Hants
Julia, 9Mo, dau, b. Southwark

In 1861 he's with his parents in Hull Holy Trinity, and is a newspaper reporter there, as well - try the British Library newspaper collection to see what newspapers there were in Hull at the time:
http://www.bl.uk/collections/newspapers.html - at a quick search I can see the Eastern Counties Herald/Hull and Eastern Counties Herald (changed around 1861), the Hull Advertiser, the Hull News, The Hull Packet and East Riding Times, the Hull Times.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mborrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 07 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   Thanks for the great advice and the links which I am following up. I have spent ages trying to locate the family on the 1871 census so thanks for them help on this!!
      In 1870 Tom is listed as a Newspaper Reporter living at 58 New Kent Road (Newington??)

Offline Karen T

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Tom Dennis KENDALL Newspaper Reporter
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 23 19:17 BST (UK) »
It's a while since your post but I'm currently researching a generation of the Kendall family which includes John, Fanny and their only child Thomas Dinnes Kendall.  Referred to as Dennis in later sources. 

Today at Hull General Cemetery we found several pieces of the headstone belonging to John and Fanny Kendall.  We know what the full inscription was as this was recorded before the council took bulldozers into the cemetery to removes 3,500 headstones.  It was wonderful to find that several pieces fit together and we always post a brief family story relating to our finds and other existing headstones and burials on our FB page  Friends of Hull General Cemetery.  I just thought you would like to know. 

Kind regards
Karen