Author Topic: James Evan Davies 1875/1955  (Read 1329 times)

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Evan Davies 1875/1955
« on: Saturday 03 March 07 20:08 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was James Evan Davies, born 1875 in Summerhill, Wrexham.  Between 1910 and 1913 he had two sons, James Evan and Robert philip.  Their mother was Eunice Davies(nee Jones) and she was living in Forge Row, Southsea when she died.  My question is, when did James and Eunice marry, if ever and are there any relations out there from her previous marriage to Thomas Davies?  She had 3 children by Thomas named Emma, Lena and, possibly, John W.  I know Lena went to live in Nottinghamshire after she married to, possibly, a Richardson.  Any info gratefully received.
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline norma_jess

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Evan Davies 1875/1955
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 07 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  There is a Eunice Jones married to a Thomas Davies Apr to Jun 1896 Wrexham 11 b 505 on the free BMD but there does not appear to be a Eunice Davies married to a James Evan Davies.  There is a James E Davies born Sep 1910 Wrexham 11b 252, no mother's name at this time to early you would need the birth certificate, and a Robert P Davies born Mar 1914 mother Jones Wrexham 11b 445.  Have looked on the North Wales site and the Wrexham Marriage site can find no marriage for a James Evan Davies and a Eunice Davies.  If you wanted to get the marriage certificate for Eunice and Thomas's marriage you could get it in the registry office Wrexham using this number WM/043/37.  Regards Norma
North Wales Denbighshire .Williams. Hopwood.
Flintshire. Williams. Griffiths. Clarke. Hopwood.
Cheshire. Darlington. Stubbs.
Staffordshire. Darlington. Stubbs. Fieldhouse. Biddulph.
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancashire. Johnson/Johnston. Bebbington. Harris. Pimlott.
Cumberland. Marriner. Tuddenham. Crozier, Bell. Johnson/Johnston. Norman.
Northumberland.  Marriner. Leathard. Common
Norfolk. Tuddenham. Rolfe. Rosier.

Census information is Crown Co

Offline norma_jess

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 07 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Your family of Thomas and Eunice are living in Ffrwd Farm Yord on the 1901 census there is only two children at this time Emma 9 and John W 5 they have a William Ellis lodging with them.  It says Thomas is a Colliery Mines Holb and can't make out the rest as there is a line going through it.  Regards Norma

Offline norma_jess

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 07 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,  There is a possible Lena Wrexham 11 b 251 oct/dec 1902.  I know the date for Emma is 1892 on the census so I have rechecked the marriage and  there is no other Thomas and Eunice listed any early then 1896.  Regards Norma

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 07 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norma.  You have picked up on my problems.  I can't find a marriage for James and Eunice despite an extensive search.  I know that there must be someone out there related to Emma and Lena who would be willing to clear up the mystery.  Thanks for all the info.  My dad, Robert Philip, was born in December 1913 and the mothers name was Davies but no dad's name.  I grew up with James, grandad, living next door but knew nothing of the family history until too late.  That is James and my dad both dead.  Always seem to happen that way doesn't it?
Mike

Offline norma_jess

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,  On the free B M D Robert Phillip has been registered in the Jan to Mar quarter 1914 which could give him a birth date in the last of the  December month.  His registration gives his surname as Davies which is the fathers name as there is a surname of Jones for the mother.  You can get the birth certificate from the Wrexham Registry office giving the number w m/148/77 this will then confirm that you have the right parents and will also give the  maiden name of the the mother including any married names she has had. There is a possibility that Eunice and  James Evan Davies never married but that the children where still registered using the fathers name. You might like to find the birth certificates for Emma and Lena, these might be easier to find then John W, to find out if they where Eunice and Thomas's children and the birth certificates for your James Evan Davies 1910 to see the names of the parents on these.  The ladies in the Registry Office in Wrexham are very helpful if you can give them as much detail as possible including the numbers for their records. I know it sounds a lot but these certificates can help solve a lot of problems, being a person who said they would never buy any certificates and seems to buy at least 1 a month if not more on a good run.  Hope I have helped a little and if you have a possible date for Lena's marriage I will have a look for that, done a quick one but found nothing around here for a marriage to a Richardson.  Regards Norma

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 07 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Fiona.  Just found out that on BMD my dad is down as Robert H Davies whereas on North Wales BMD he is down as Robert P.  Just goes to show that you can't always rely on the web pages.
Mike