Author Topic: Leighton/Wark help in Kilmarnock  (Read 1350 times)

Offline L L

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leighton/Wark help in Kilmarnock
« on: Saturday 03 March 07 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall and would greatly appreciate any help or advise.  I have been tracking my ancestors in Scotland and then was surprised that they came from Ireland.

I have Thomas Leighton(Lighton on the 1841 census) who was born abt 1792 in Ireland and died 4 Jul 1857 Ayr Scotland.  Thomas Married Elizabeth Wark b abt 1793 Ireland d. 21 Mar 1864 Kilmarnock, Scotland.  They have the following children:
Jean b. abt 1822 Ireland
Mary b. abt 1824 Ireland
Joseph b. abt 1828 Ireland
Elizabeth b abt 1832 Ayrshire, Scotland
Thomas b. abt 1836 Ayrshire Scotland

From this I am guessing they moved from Ireland to Ayreshire between the years 1828 and 1832.  I believe that Thomas's parents were Thomas Leighton and Jane Ferguson.  I also believe that Elizabeth's parents were Henry Wark and Elizabeth Kid.  Not sure how to even go forward with this as I have no clue where in Ireland to even be looking at and have not found anything about their marriage in Kilmarnock to help me.

Lydia

Offline Hollyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Leighton/Wark help in Kilmarnock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lydia,
If you can find Elizabeth and Thomas' birth certificates they should give you their parents names and the date of their marriage.  You could try Scotlands People for this.  Unfortunately I've run out of credits or would have looked for you.
Regards
Hollyd

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hollyd, unfortunately that would be the case if they were born after 1855 (the start of civil registration) but since not, details are slim on baptism records. :(

Offline Hollyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Lydia and Hume forgot about that.  Everything I've been looking up recently has been after 1855.
Hollyd