Author Topic: 1816 Baptism William Lawrence Berkshire/ Oxfordshire  (Read 10421 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1816 Baptism William Lawrence Berkshire/ Oxfordshire
« on: Saturday 03 March 07 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Would any kind person be able to find the baptism of William Lawrence c 1816 RE 1881 census born Wantage Berkshire but RE 1851 census born Chipping Norton Oxfordshire? Any help appreciated. :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1816 Baptism William Lawrence Berkshire/ Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 07 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irret

Chipping Norton has been extracted into the IGI and there is no William Lawrence baptized about 1816 listed.

It would have been helpful if you could have told us where William was living at the time of the 1851 or 1881 census, presumably it was Wantage.

In the 1861 birthplace is also Wantage.   He does not appear in the 1841 in Oxon or Berks.

His wife, Clara, was born in Letscombe Basset and it would be worth looking for their marriage there [it was not in Wantage].   The parish records for Letscombe are available on fiche from Oxford FHS.

Good luck

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 07 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have checked the baptisms for Wantage and I am afraid that William was not baptised there - the first child baptised to Benjamin & Sarah Lawrence is Martha in 1817, they also had Henry in 1820 and Ann in 1823.

Benjamin was buried in 1823 (in Wantage) aged 46,  so this would tie in with the marriage in Shrivenham in 1810 of Benjemin Lawrence aged 34 to Sarah Lock aged 42, and it is possible they had William somewhere else and moved to Wantage whilst he was still a baby - he might have thought he was born in Wantage.

I did find the baptism of Clara Alder in Letcombe Bassett as expected - she was baptised 24th October 1824 d/o John & Sarah Alder (Lab).  I checked the marriages for Letcombe Bassett but William & Clara did not marry there - and the Wantage marriages that I have only go up to 1813, so I think this is the best I can do

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin and Debbie many thanks for your replies and efforts I did post a second message see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=218402.new;topicseen#new so hopefully the marr. will give us Williams fathers name but still will have trouble finding his birth I'm sure. I will post where he was in each census later as I am off to work now  :-[
Debbie RE  quote I have checked the baptisms for Wantage and I am afraid that William was not baptised there - the first child baptised to Benjamin & Sarah Lawrence is Martha in 1817, they also had Henry in 1820 and Ann in 1823.
I could be barking up the wrong tree there as Williams first son was named Thomas. :) So Williams father could be a Thomas.
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 07 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
1851 William Living Wantage
1861 Can not find William or Clara  :-\
1871 William living Tanner St Wantage
1881 William living Mill St Wantage.
Clara dies and is buried on 30 Jan 1878 aged 53 of Mill Street

Hi Colin in your reply to me you mention - quote
In the 1861 birthplace is also Wantage.   He does not appear in the 1841 in Oxon or Berks.
I couldn't see them in 1861 please don't tell me I need another nap.
Hope this is of some help?

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irret

Yes, you had better get your head down.   In 1861 William, wife and 2 sons were living in Mill Street.

Take care

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Try as I may I still can't find them in 1861 I have searched every combo. Parents and children individually still no joy would you do me a favour and please post the Source Piece Folio and Page I know I'm a pain but- Pretty please ::)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
RG9/736 f54 p24
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newburychap,
That was very kind of you, thank you. No wonder I couldn't find them Clara was down as Ward and William as Wm and George / Geo and I don't know how to search by address. So another one to add to the collection I have just ordered William and Clara's marr. cert. so can't wait.  :)
Terri