Author Topic: 1816 Baptism William Lawrence Berkshire/ Oxfordshire  (Read 10416 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1816 Baptism William Lawrence Berkshire/ Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Just received the marriage of William Lawrence and Clara Alder Wantage 1844 Williams father was Benjamin Lawrence a weaver and Clara's John Alder a sawyer if anyone has any thoughts about what I should do from here it would be appreciated. :) ;D
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 March 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri

I have had another look at this one this morning, so to recap -
we have William's marriage certificate giving his father as Benjemin, 
we have William in the census returns giving his approx year of birth 1815/1816 and in all but one the place is Wantage
There is a Benjemin & Sarah Lawrence having children baptised at Wantage from 1817
From the burials registers for Wantage Benjamin Lawrence died quite young aged 46 in 1823 - this ties in with a baptism in Wantage 1777 21st November of Benjemin s/o William & Jane Lawrence

This morning I found a marriage in the IGI in Wantage 2nd Dec 1826 of Sarah Lawrence to John Eustace,  sadly the marriages in my transcripts only go up to 1813 so I can't see if Sarah was a widow, but there is not a likly baptism for a Sarah Lawrence in Wantage who would be marrying in 1826.  So back to the burials John Eustace died in 1841 aged 79, Sarah Eustace was buried in 1862 aged 73,  I was able to find her in all 3 census before her death in 51 & 61 she gives her place of birth as Abingdon.  From the marriage registers of St Helens Abingdon 1814 October 10th Benjamin Lawrence to Sarah Wellman.  I think it very likly that this is the Benjemin & Sarah Lawrence who were in Wantage having children,  I also think it very likly that your William was their eldest son named after Benjemin's father,  sadly though I still can't find a baptism for William (it is not in Abingdon)  he might not have been baptised.

:-\

Debbie

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 March 07 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
Thanks so much for your time and trouble, yes I follow you re Sarah being a widow and re marrying as you say Benjamins father being William and Benjamin naming his first son makes sense ............... only the one link missing to connect them all- WILLIAMS BIRTH RE birth he is as late as 1818 on one census so that fits and  we may be searching for something that isn't there- but why baptize the others and not William and I quote from info given to me

Wantage reg district which appears to be part Oxfordshire and part Berkshire

they have these areas

OXF-WAN01WANTAGE Reg. Dist.
Wantage; Wantage Union Workhouse; Chilton; Grove; Letcombe Bassett; Letcombe Regis.
OXF-WAN02WANTAGE Reg. Dist.
Ardington; Blewbury; Denchworth; East Challow; East Hendred; Goosey; Harwell; Upton; West Hendred.

Chipping Norton Town is 34 miles from Wantage and the 2 reg districts meet - so you could be talking anyone of those parishes mentioned  seems I might need to widen the search.
Terri
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 March 07 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi while we are on the subject of marriages - can I ask who the witnesses were at William & Clara's ?

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 March 07 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie, I am trying to attach below lets see if I can do it.

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 March 07 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow I did it after about six attempts  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 March 07 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Yess    ;D    Well Done - don't know if it helps though

I have just found another bit in 1841  in Grove Street Wantage
John Eustace 75 Gardener Y
Sarah Eustace 55 Y
Harriot Eustace 13 Y
Ann Lawrence 19 spinner Y

this ties in with the Ann baptised in 1823 d/o Benjamin & Sarah

Debbie

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 March 07 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Well done you too!
The pieces are fitting in the puzzle nicely- I like the one, Ann born 1823 to Benjamin and Sarah ................ Wonder if on Annes birth Benjamin is a weaver?

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 March 07 11:38 GMT (UK) »
No I am afraid Benjamin is given as a labourer on the baptisms - however given that he had died  in 1823 they may not have been sure of his occupation