Author Topic: Couse family of ''Leinster province''???  (Read 1016 times)

Offline saz1885

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Couse family of ''Leinster province''???
« on: Sunday 04 March 07 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Can someone help please?

I am looking for a family with the surname Couse. They came (so family tales tell) from Dublin, which I believe is in a province called Leinster, Ireland.

Why is it that wherever I look for Irish genealogy resources, this province, as such, is not listed?
Also, all Irish surname searches that I have done online have found no results for Couse.

So, hoping that you can help, here is what I know...
             Stephen Couse (1863, Ireland) married Margaret Costello (c1861, Ireland) living at Norwood, Surrey on the 1891 and 1901 England Census'. Daughter Dorothy Florence Couse, although said to have been born at Norwood, was actually born at the Old Customs House, Dublin (c.1889).

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Couse family of ''Leinster province''???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 07 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are a couple of people with the surname Couse from co.Dublin on the IGI familysearch.org site, and several also in counties adjacent to Dublin.
It's good you have a county to start with - if you only had the province of Leinster you would have a harder task ahead of you! Although Couse doesn't seem to be that common a name in Ireland.
Also, look at Griffiths valuation -
http://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php

although it looks like the exact surname Couse was not in evidence in the years the land valuations took place, but variants on the surname were.
Also look on genforum to see if anyone else is researching your name.
There is a musician called Dave Couse, I think from co.dublin, google for him - maybe he is a long lost relative!

Good luck
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto