Author Topic: Help with PAYNE and JELLY  (Read 1042 times)

Offline siskin

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1911-2001
    • View Profile
Help with PAYNE and JELLY
« on: Monday 05 March 07 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I am new to RootsChat and hope that one of the experts here may be able to help me.

I have a THOMAS PAYNE in my tree. He was born between 1812 and 1816 at West Hoathly in Sussex, according to the census returns.

On his marriage certificate it states that he married HARRIETT HUMPHREY on 8th May 1841 at The Parish Church Horne Surrey.

His father is named as CHARLIE JELLY.

Is there any way that I can check out his Father, or find any more information,
I have looked on Familysearch.org but with no luck.

The 1841 census was taken after he married and he is living with his in-laws.

I should be very grateful for any help or suggestions.

Thank you,
I-Spy.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with PAYNE and JELLY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 07 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.  Can we assume that he was illegitimate if his name is Payne but his father was Charlie Jelly?
I have looked on the Sussex Marriage Index and there is no entry for a Charles Jelly though there are various other Jelly entries.
Can you quote a census reference for 1841.  I cannot find him at the moment.  Ah, got him in Surrey now.   As a general rule the more information you can give in a post the better.   If we know what you have already done it saves duplication.
West Hoathly registers should be on the IGI at that time so if he is not there then you need to widen the search a bit.    If he was illegitimate he may have been baptised away from his mother's home village.
His age is fairly constant on the later census so it would appear he was born c1816.    Do you have his death certificate?  Harriet is a widow by 1871 but with a child aged 5 so that narrows it down.
There is an excellent site about the Weald of Sussex - there is a link at the top of the Sussex board - which may have more details of West Hoathly on it.  I would look at the names of his daughters and see if you can find a suitable young female Payne with the same name who might have been his mother.   It is possible that there might be some parish records if she had to claim parish relief - bastardy bonds etc.  They will be at either Lewes or Chichester record office if they exist.  You can search their catalogues at the A2A archives site.   
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at the familysearch site.  If you put in the batch number C070631 with the surname Payne then you get a lot of baptisms for West Hoathly.  There is a Thomas born in 1808 who is the son of Rebecca but that is a bit early.  Anyway, worth a look.
Andrea

Offline siskin

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1911-2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 07 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Thank you very much for your help, I shall look at the sites that you suggest.

Regards,
I-Spy

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 07 18:51 GMT (UK) »
There are various Charles Jelly entries for Surrey and that is really no distance from West Hoathly.  Does it give an occupation for him on the marriage certificate?  Maybe you can find him in the 1841 census.   It might be worth putting a post on the Surrey board and the Sussex one if others do not pick it up here.  There are a lot of very helpful people on the Sussex one who have lots of records and I expect Surrey is the same.
Andrea

Offline siskin

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1911-2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Thank you again for your interest and help.
I think I may have found Charles Jelly on IGI. He was Christened in 1778 at Rudgwick, Sussex.  On the 1841 census he is 60 years old, and living at Wotton, Sussex. He is an Ag Lab, and that fits with Charlie Jelly's occupation on the marriage certificate of Thomas Payne.
I have now to try and find the mother of Thomas.

Regards, I-Spy