Author Topic: Birth Charles Allen  (Read 8530 times)

Offline maggie65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Charles Allen
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 March 07 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tees. Looked through all the notes I had on Charles Allen and saw that I had already got that birth in Lisburn from Emerald ancestors site. The father was Samuel on that one so not ours.  So back to searching  . Must be a different year.  Too bad.

Margaret

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 March 07 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

If I were you, I would have to widen the search on Charles Allen births.

From what I have seen so far, you have a flimsy information to work with.

Or he may not born in Belfast but somewhere else in the Island of Ireland.

I think Scotmum has a good suggestion that you need to follow up on: try to find his father's army papers--you never know if you are in the luck--it may list his wife and children.

Again, does your Charles had any brothers or sisters you know of? Or any relatives?

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline maggie65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 March 07 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Charles was  an only child from all I hear. I have looked at the site that gives details on casualty deaths and they all seem to be too young to be the father of Charles, but its worth a try anyway.

I have suggested to my friend that she go to the Familysearch  centre in Baton Rouge and look up the indexes for  the years before and after 1906. I think we have done all we can at the moment. She says his mother was very reluctant to discuss the birth of Charles for some reason. She doesnt know what happened to the family papers when his mother died as she was in the US at that time and the mother was in a nursing home when she died. All a big mystery.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 March 07 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

You said that his mother were reluctant to discuss??

I just have a sudden idea, right now,--what was his mother's name??

I will go to other database and see if the name match to any Allen marriages.

If we are lucky to find the marriage, I would use the parents' names and send for the birth entry in the range of years to the GRO.

They will be glad to do it as long as you have the parents' names.

How about it? I am not ready to give up on you and your friend.

This is my "last" attempt. :)

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline maggie65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 March 07 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Mother was Mary Elizabeth Hunter. They were married in Dunluce 1931. Their son was born 1933 in Park Priestland. He was an only child .  The son was in the merchant marines in Scotland  and away a lot of the time so when ever he asked anything about his fathers parents he was always told oh we dont know. I guess people were not as open in those days about family matters! He thinks his mother just made up the year of birth of Charles on his death certificate as she didnt really know. Did say his Father was David and that does show on the marriage cert. She also said he was born in belfast but didnt know anything about his mother as she died young. You would think he would be somewhere.

Thanks for helping. I dont know what else to tell my friend. Ive run out of ideas. This is my friends husbands ancestors

Margaret

Offline maggie65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 March 07 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello I might have mislead you. It was Charles wife that was unwilling to discuss the birth of Charles as she didnt really know anything except that his dather was David and died in WW1. I notice on the marrage cert if does not say whether his father was deceased at that time like it does on Scottish records.

Its such a confusing history and not much to go on.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 March 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Charles Allens Fathers name was David. The story goes that Charles Allens Father died in WWI. His mother died too and he was brought up in an orphanage in Antrim.

Could father's name have been Charles instead of David?

Private Charles Allen killed in action 18 Nov.1914 age 29, wife Matilda Allen of Liscolman, Dervock. Born Belfast. Employed in spinning mill before war, left wife & 3 children.

Have more information if you are interested.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 March 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

Would that information includes names of the children?

It would confirm whether this is the one Maggie is seeking for her friend's husband.

It is getting more interesting as this quest progressed!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 09 March 07 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately names of his children not listed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!