Author Topic: Henry Hall  (Read 1294 times)

Offline moblac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Hall
« on: Tuesday 06 March 07 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Have had help before now looking for another branch of the family.  Have found Henry Hall on 1841 census aged 60 but no other members of his family.  The one I am looking for was married to Agnes Cowan had a daughter Grace married to John Thorburn.  I believe one Henry Hall a covenanter was shot at Haugh, Edinburgh while taking a message to King James.  Please can anyone advise me where to look now. :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi moblac

I have found a marriage between a Henry Hall and Helen Cowan, Applegarth, DFS, 25th August 1799.

No sign of a birth/baptism for him though.

The Henry Hall, covenanter died in 1680 - see Oxford  Dictionary of National Biography - an index entry here This fits with the King James story - it would have been James 11 of England and V11 of Scotland (if he was proclaimed in Scotland - not sure of this).

Your Henry Hall does not appear to be on the 1851 census and has probably died. It might be worth you contacting the Dumfries and Galloway FHS http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/ as they may have MIs and other unpublished records. Also the Ewart Library http://www.ewart.org/Constructions/Library.htm may have something.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline moblac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget.  Once again you have come to my aid, many thanks.  Where did you find the marriage, tried all events in Genes Reunited and nothing was recorded either there or IGI.  I get very frustrated when I don't know what to do, perhaps I should go somewhere for instruction. Thanks again  :-*

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi moblac

If you go into the IGI database on  www.familysearch.org and input Henry Hall,  Marriage year 1805 +/- 5, Area = British Isles, Country = Scotland, County = Dumfries. This will come up. I think there were 3 or 4 in all. This was the only Cowan.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline moblac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget,  I was searching on wrong page.  Unfortunately there are no children recorded in that marriage so perhaps I am on the wrong track.  I will retrace my steps and see if I come up with another line.
Regards
Moblac :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi moblac

Just because you can't find any children it doesn't mean to say there weren't any - I have a whole host of 'unrecorded' offspring from some of my ancestors - they turn up later in censuses and letters. Also, I've found many on the British isles Vital Records Index that aren't in the OPRs.

Again, marriages could have been common law - quite legal but not performed by a clergyman. Therefore not in the OPRs.

It all adds to the fun  :-\

Gadget

Offline moblac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 07 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Or frustration. Only joking ;D