Author Topic: Adams Family History  (Read 9323 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Adams Family History
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 June 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya aghadowey,

You're not the only one to express surprise that the families named Adams mentioned in Danny's message are the only ones in Ulster. There were a few more in other towns in 1852. There may well have been many more not mentioned in either the street directory or Valuation.

1852 Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster

Armagh
John Clarke Adams, woollen and hat warehouse, English Street
William Adams, publican, Scotch Street

Ballymoney
Robert Adams, shuttle maker, Linenhall Street
Robert Adams, wheelwright, Linenhall Street
Note ... that may be the one and the same man.

County Cavan
C. J. Adams, magistrate, Shinan House, Shercock
Very Rev S. Adams, Dean of Cashel and magistrate, Northlands, Shercock

Monaghan
Francis Adams, woollen draper, Market Street
Francis Adams, miller, Mill Street
Note ... that may be the one and the same man.

Newtownards
William Adams, grocer, Little Francis Street

Randalstown
Hugh Adams, baker and grocer

You'll also need to have a look at Griffiths Valuations which took place 1848-64
The Valuations in Ulster took place on the following dates.....

Antrim 1861-2
Armagh 1864
Cavan 1856-7
Derry 1858-9
Donegal 1857
Down 1863-4
Fermanagh 1862
Monaghan 1858-60
Tyrone 1851

Christopher

Offline quiffdo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 June 07 15:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry to give a false msg :-[

I didnt meen to put the whole of ulster, the msg just came out wrong.

I just meant the addresses i searched and the surrounding area.

My mistake :-[

Danny
wilson,mckenna,rice,murphy,whelan,gerrity,walsh
gerraighty

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 June 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Danny,
No problem about  the Ulster mistake !! I am gratefull  to you for following up the address's. It looks as if Samuel and father in law Henry moved to Academy St by 1856.
                           Jsearch
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 June 07 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
I will keep the list of Adams's from 1852,for future reference.Hugh Adams from Randalstown,could possibly be Samuels father,he was listed on the marriage cert  in1849. Hugh was a farmer.
                              Jsearch
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline MKRADAMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 July 07 12:54 BST (UK) »
Nathaniel Adams b.1843 Antrim and other Adams had a master grocer business allegedly called Adams Bros in Kirkdale Rd, Kirkdale Liverpool, and then owned The Seasons residence 65 Anfield Rd, Liverpool and married the daughter of Rev William Wilkinson an local Liverpool Primitive Methodist minister; and a John Adams in Birkenhead and others in Wirra area.. Also, connecter are his next genetaion up, being the Adams’ gravestones immediately inside the Tullyrusk cemetery gate (apparently twins Robert Adams of Ballynacoy B.1811 and Thomas Adams of Hillhead Farm, Derrykillultagh (Hillhead Lane opposite the filterbeds, off the Lisburn to Glenavy Rd, North Ireland); also a suspected brother John Adams. I believe I am a direct descendent of Thomas Adams, some of whose offspring via his wife Catherine were John b1840?, Nathaniel b1843, Thomas, Emma b.1843, Susannah, Katherine/Sarah went to Liverpool and set up a business, then dispersed around the globe. The Hillhead farm is now apparently split and owned by the McCartney’s, Ferguson’s and possibly Acheson, descendents of the Adams girls left behind after the boys left during the mid 1800’s for Liverpool and other parts of the world. To this extent, you will note I am located in Sydney, Australia and contactable via (*) .

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
ADAMS of Liverpool, UK - Nathaniel b.1843 in Antrim & siblings - migrated and ran grocer business from Kirkdale (later Anfield), Liverpool
ADAMS of Antrim, NI - Thomas of Hillhead Farm on Glenavy Rd near Lisburn, NI, Derrykillultagh, Ballynacoy & Tullyrusk in Co.Antrim, North Ireland; also Robert of Ballnacoy.