Author Topic: Creetown Marshalls  (Read 24438 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: Creetown Marshalls
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 March 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget.
Yes, so you noticed! It took me a little working out though. I am a bit rusty with IT since I retired a year or so ago.
No, I must admit I was only guessing re John Williamson at Twynholm. It sounded like a good bet, he being a vagrant with 2 children. I only have the 1881 census records but I think he may have died by then. The family of Williamsons were by then living at Back Ramparts, Stranraer, all children being born at Stoneykirk, save for my gt.aunt Mary aged 1 yr, who was born in Stranraer. I must admit the only evidence I have is the marriage certificate which was extremely difficult to read = you did very well deciphering it accurately. Also, on Jane Williamson's death certificate her husband John Williamson is described as a "dealer". Now that could cover a multitude of sins, couldn't it?
I hope I can help someone some day with their genealogy problems. You must have the patience of Job.
Regards,
Ankerdine
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 March 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have no patience whatsoever. I'm one of those 'don't suffer........gladly' types  :) However, I love puzzles and problem solving - straight look ups are boring - I like to get my teeth into the families  :)

I'll have a little nose around - maybe his death cert might give us some info  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 March 07 20:51 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Got him - how can we be pleased to find  deaths  ??? ??? ???

12th November 1877, Stranraer, aged 48. No mention of previous wife, only your Jane. paralysis 18 months. Informant was Jane Williamson, daughter.  So it seems that his marriage cert age was about right.

Have you tried the 1841 - although, it did say on the cert that he was born in Northern Ireland  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 March 07 21:22 GMT (UK) »
In  1871 they are in Stranraer:

Volume 899 ED 9 Page 4

11 Back Rampart

John, 46, labourer, b. Ireland
Jane, 37, b. Crosshill, Ayreshire
John, 13, scholar, b. Stoneykirk
Jane, 10,  hand loomer ? b. Inch
Alexander, 8,  scholar b. Stoneykirk
Robert, 5, scholar, b. Stoneykirk
Francis, 3, b. Stoneykirk
Mary, 4 mths, b. Leswalt

No luck on the 1861 as yet  :(

Apart from the Twynholm one, the only other John Williamson, b. Ireland,  on the 1851 is an ag lab in Mochrum. Wigtownshire, aged 25.

Gadget

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 March 07 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Nice work once again. However, there's nearly 10 years difference between John and Jane on this latest census. I really would like him to be the Twynholm John with that ready-made family. I wonder what happened to that Margaret, John and David.
The old fishing "hovels" in Back Ramparts have been demolished. There is a brand new bungalow near where No. 11 stood. The gentleman who owned it was amused and interested, I think, to hear what my husband and I were looking for. He sent us off to speak to Shirley McNeillie, the Stranraer Registrar and Secretary of the Stranraer and District Family History Society. It was she who broke the news to me that Granny was illegitimate.

In conclusion, it must have been a healthy life to be a tinker/tinsmith/gypsy as the Marshalls seem to have thrived and lived long lives. Hope the trend continues....

Regards,

Ankerdine
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline caroclay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 September 08 19:18 BST (UK) »
don't know if this is perhaps of the same family

i have a william marshall in my tree

in 1873 i have william as a tinsmith/pauper in wigtown
married to agnes adam

and his son is stewart marshall born 1853 in port william, wigtownshire

CLAYTON (LANARKSHIRE (craignuek)& ENGLAND)
DEVLIN (LANARKSHIRE(newmain & craignuek) & IRELAND)
McANAW (craignuek, muirkirk LANARKSHIRE)
McALEER (LANARKSHIRE & IRELAND)
MARSHALL (DUMFRIES)
KEENAN (IRELAND)
MCGINNIS
HUGHES
PROUDFOOT
DUNBAR
McGEECHAN (craignuek & carfin)
KILTIE
TROTTER
KEEGAN
ADAMS

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 September 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Caro  :)

they might well be - can you give more info on your 1873 source, please? Was it a death or document?

I'll have a ferret around later to see what I can come up with and Ankerdine might well have some more info on the family.

Regards

Gadget

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 September 08 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Caro

As Gadget suggested I looked back through my notes and found a William Marshall (whitesmith/tinsmith) firstly married to an Elizabeth Gibson and, subsequently, he appeared to marry an Agnes Adam. I only found this information through Family Search and it has not been verified elsewhere. I found a son, James G Marshall, born 1851 in Port William so this family looks promising for you . I also found that my gtx3 grandfather was an Alexander Marshall son of the above William Marshall and Elizabeth Gibson.

I think that there is a lot more information elsewhere on this site but I don't know how to insert a link for you.

Maybe Gadget could assist us here. She is VERY HELPFUL ::) ::)

Good luck with your Marshalls.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire