Author Topic: Hilldrew farm (or Hildrew farm)  (Read 5966 times)

Offline curious in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hilldrew farm (or Hildrew farm)
« on: Thursday 08 March 07 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

my great, great grandfather was Philip Chugg who was born in Devon in 1815 to John (possibly Philip John or John Philip) Chugg and Mary ???. His siblings were Ann (born about 1810), Mary (born about 1818) and John (born about 1823 - 1825).

Philip Chugg emigrated to Canada about 1842 and his brother John died in 1845. Ann married Thomas Seager and Mary never married.

The two sisters (Ann and Mary) lived together until their deaths. Ann and her husband lived separately for some reason.

Apparently the sisters owned Hilldrew or Hildrew farm and visited there often. They are said to have attempted to bribe one of their Canadian nephews into coming to England by hinting that their money, house and farm would go to him. Apparently it didn't work as all the nephews stayed in Canada.

Ann died in 1901 and Mary died in 1906. They are buried in Heanton Cemetery according to family lore. An unknown cousin, Mrs. Annie Goss, wrote to the family in Canada to inform them of Mary's death. I believe Annie Goss was born Ann Jury in 1850, married to William Heddon and then to Charles Henry Goss. How she was related to the Chuggs I have no clue.

So if anyone knows anything about Hilldrew or Hildrew farm, or the families of the Chuggs, the Jurys or the Gosses I would love to hear from you.

Sincerely

T

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
Re: Hilldrew farm (or Hildrew farm)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 07 07:19 GMT (UK) »
morning im off torecords office 2day will have a look any idea what area of devon raa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 07 13:50 GMT (UK) »
hello

Thanks for the reply. I live in Canada and the only information I have is from online census reports and a journal written by an elderly Canadian cousin who has since passed away.

Ann and Mary were always located in Barnstaple in the censuses. They are buried in Heanton. I would think the farm should be close to Barnstaple.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

T

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
high t not much luck but i dont give up that easy willhave another look tuesday raa

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 07 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Genuki has
"A 12, 000-item online gazetteer of Devon has been produced from White's 1850 book, listing all the places (chapels, churches, farms, hamlets, houses, inns, manors, schools, streets, villages, etc.) and principal organizations named in it."

Clicking in to the H section

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Gazetteer/H.html

doesn't reveal a Hilldrew etc farm or anything like it.

Did they actually live there, and if so what census ref do you have?

Neighbouring addresses might make it easier to pin down.

Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 07 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Good morning to both Raa and StintonLomas

Thank you Raa for taking time to dig around. I so appreciate it. I would love to visit Devon at some point but at this point it will have to wait for a few more years.

To answer your question Stinton, I don't believe they lived there as I have found them on High Street in Barnstaple for censuses and they also owned 108 Pilton Street. They may have owned other properties as well.

I believe they may have inherited the farm upon the death of their father (reportedly in 1831) and/or mother (reportedly in 1867) but I could be absolutely wrong about that. I am under the impression that the farm was either rented out or they had workers who ran it. They appeared to have a steady source of income in addition to their dressmaking (which I believe was in a shop they owned or rented in Barnstaple).

I cannot find their mother, who I know as Mary or Mary Ann Chugg, maiden name unknown, born about 1778 in an unknown place, in any census reports for 1841, 1851, or 1861. I do have the death registration for the Mary Chugg who died in 1867, she is listed as the widow of Philip Chugg, and she died on High Street in Barnstaple.

I have found the 4 siblings in 1841; Ann and Mary in 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891;  and Mary in 1901. 

Would there be any way to find obits or death notices for Ann who died in 1901 and/or Mary who died in 1906? I would gladly reimburse anyone for parking, copying, coffee  :D or other expenses for finding the obits if they are available.

This morning I found a couple of listings on the internet for cottage rentals on a Hilldrew Farm (Swallows nest is one of the cottages) - it is said to be 4 miles from Barnstaple. Perhaps it would be a good idea for me to find an address and write to the owners of this Hilldrew farm and see if they have any information on its history.

Anyway thanks for any assistance and if anyone can help with obits, send me a private message.

Thanks so very much

T   from Alberta, Canada

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 07 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi T,

Looks like Hildrew is currently a livestock business run by a family named Turner:
http://www.mylocalservices.co.uk/Devon/Livestock_Others/218692/J_B_M_A_Turner.html

You can see the farm on multimap.com

Search for Ensis, Devon (a little village near Barnstaple).  Then zoom in two levels, so you get to enough detail.  Less than 1/2 mile east of Ensis is Hildrew. (But it won't find it if you search for Hildrew)

Hope that helps!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 07 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Morning,

interesting to see where it might be. I believe I will compose a letter and mail it this evening. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks for the address.

Sincerely

T

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 07 18:34 GMT (UK) »
The Chugg name appears several times in the London Gazette:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp?WebType=0&Referer=full

If you just search on "Chugg", no dates, you get 11 pages of results.  Many of them are Chuggs from Barnstaple, although not all are names you have given here - but they are probably related somehow.  Mary Chugg seems to have had shares in a bank for several years - at least, I think what I saw was a list of shareholders - I didn't quite understand the old terminology used.  (This will come up on the search). 

Enjoy!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)