Author Topic: Hilldrew farm (or Hildrew farm)  (Read 5965 times)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Hilldrew farm (or Hildrew farm)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 07 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi T,

I think your Mary Chugg, d. 1867, widow of Phillip is a red herring.  There was a Phillip and Mary Chugg having children in Ilfracombe around 1798-1805 (coincidentaly named John, Maria, Ann, Philip, and Richard!).  They are too old to be your Chuggs though, but they must be related.  Mary may have been visiting your Anne and Mary when she died, or was living in the High Street for some other reason. 

I think I have found the baptism of your Ann though.  Ann and Mary consistently give their birth place as Heanton Puncharden on the census records.  Those parish records are on the IGI.  There are no Chuggs, but there is:

Ann Jugg, daur of John and Mary, christened 22 Jul 1810

and

Marriage of John Jugg and Mary Rogers 27 Aug 1809.

No sign of Mary, Philip, or John though  :(

MJP

Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline curious in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:59 GMT (UK) »
hello MJP

I think you have hit on something indeed. I have not seen those before - and I do know that some of the Chuggs went by Jugg or Chugge or Jugge at times. I just never thought to actually apply that to my Chuggs. Talk about overlooking the obvious.

And to add a little more weight to this possibility - Philip here in Canada named one of his sons Ebenezer ROGERS Chug.  I always thought the "s" on the end of Rogers was just a mistake but perhaps not.

Thank you so much for this new direction to chase - you just never know when a new lead will pop up

Off to chase some new ghosts

With greatest appreciation

T

Offline curious in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 07 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello

and it has led back to Hildrew farm

in 1901 Ann Goss is living at 108 Pilton Street with Mary Chugg who is age 81. Ann Chugg Seager has been dead for less than  6 months so likely Mary needed companionship. Ann is listed as married but there is no husband in the household.

However, there is a Charles H Goss living on a Hildrew farm in Tawstock in 1901 who is listed as married with no wife listed in the household.

So I went looking and found the marriage of Ann Heddon to Charles Henry Goss in 1894. So looks like it is all making more sense.

Now to find out if Hildrew farm actually belonged to the elderly Chugg sisters or to the Goss family.

Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone

Sincerely

T

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 07 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
That is an interesting census page.
There are 2 residences at Hildrew and also at the place before, Burbrock, and there are Goss families in those as well.

Also the Harracott reference further down the page puts it in the same area as Ensis as mentioned in MJPs post.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Diane Heddon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello

and it has led back to Hildrew farm

in 1901 Ann Goss is living at 108 Pilton Street with Mary Chugg who is age 81. Ann Chugg Seager has been dead for less than  6 months so likely Mary needed companionship. Ann is listed as married but there is no husband in the household.

However, there is a Charles H Goss living on a Hildrew farm in Tawstock in 1901 who is listed as married with no wife listed in the household.

So I went looking and found the marriage of Ann Heddon to Charles Henry Goss in 1894. So looks like it is all making more sense.

Now to find out if Hildrew farm actually belonged to the elderly Chugg sisters or to the Goss family.

Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone

Sincerely

T
Hi there, I am of the [Goss and Heddon] line.. although I am busy researching my Line before the Goss line at present... please get back to me for info re; these../ I have numerous names/ dates etc  although I have'nt not yet seen the farm you are speaking of.. if you would linke my e mail addres  please let me know from the [chatterbox] room herew as i can leave my address with you there on the top of the page... please arrange a time though as I am in Australia... best of the seasons greeetings to you from Diane in Oz.   

Offline Elwyne37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane.  I have only recently started my family but had asked my husband family,about the
Goss family in Bonymaen Swansea, and a heddon . I am waiting till my carers come or my notes.Diane, I met you 1961\2 in pwhelli. Best regards Menna Thyerftp://