Author Topic: Arthur Day Lawrence  (Read 823 times)

Offline TracyL

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur Day Lawrence
« on: Thursday 08 March 07 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am still searching for this man, named as father on my grandfather's birth certificate.

I have posted previously regarding my grandfather's adoption and seaching for any information on his mother (Mercy Marks) and his sister Muriel (not known about until we stumbled across her during our search), who was adopted in 1906 by a Judd family in Leamington.  My grandfather was adopted in 1905 by George and Ann Aston, in Warwick.

I am now trying to focus on Arthur Day Lawrence and, having found a way to search for the middle name on Ancestry, am amazed at the number of people with Day as a middle name. 

I presume that Day was a family name from a previous generation, but have done loads of searching on Day/Lawrence marriages and have tracked any I found on the census to no avail.

According to the birth certificates for the children he became a bank clerk/accountant.   I can find absolutely nothing concrete for this name.  The best I have come up with is an Arthur Lawrence on the census who was a bank clerk, but I have his birth cert and it does not give any middle name.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find this man?  Can't find a birth, marriage or death.  Can't find any census info. that gives the middle name etc. etc.  Maybe there is a different reason for the Day middle name? 

Cannot think of anywhere else to look - any ideas anyone? ???

Tracy
Judd - Warwickshire
DESLONGRAIS  - MAURITIUS/WALES/WARWICKSHIRE
Durand-Deslongrais - Mauritius/France
Neboden - Mauritius/France
Marks - Staffs/Warwicks
Menday, Lynch, French, Wright - Bermondsey/Southwark
Pett, Lowe, Kelly, Woolf, Baker, Winn, Wilkinson - North London
Tiplady - Bedfordshire

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Day Lawrence
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 07 20:58 GMT (UK) »
This family might be worth considering, Tracy:

Marriages Sep 1866   (>99%)
DAY    Harriett       
GODDARD    Maria        
LAURENCE    William R         
MURFITT    David
Ely 3b 877   

RG12; Piece: 1298; Folio 58; Page 18
Back Drove, Middle Fen, Cambridge
William Lawrence - Head - 44 - Farm Labourer - Ely
Harriet Lawrence - Wife - 43 - Stuntney
Alfred Lawrence - Son - 16 - Farm Labourer - Ely
Arthur Lawence - Son - 12 - Scholar - Ely
William Lawrence - Son - 10 - Scholar - Ely
Ellen Lawrence - Dau - 8 - Scholar - Ely
Ethel Lawrence - Dau - 6 - Scholar - Ely
Agness Lawrence - Dau - 4 - Scholar - Ely
Frederick Lawrence - Son - 1 - Ely

Births Jun 1887
   (>99%)
LAWRENCE    Agnes Day        
Ely 3b 501

Although Arthur has no middle name on his birth registration, I suppose he may have used Day like his sister?  Unfortunately on the 1901 census he is listed as a painter - married to Agnes, and living with his Partridge in-laws.

It's only circumstantial, but at least this is an Arthur Lawrence with mother Day!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TracyL

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Day Lawrence
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rambler

Thank you for that.  I had found Agnes Day Lawrence, but I can't connect her or the family to my problem. I have tracked her through the census and cannot find anything that would tie this in.  She does have the brother Arthur, but again I can't find anything that would make him a suspect.

Having found this some time ago, I did revisit it recently hoping I had missed something but still can't find the link.

I have even thought that of the other Arthur Days on the birth registrations that had a different surname, that maybe one of them had a mother that remarried and he began using the new husband's surname, but again cannot pin anything down.

In the scheme of things, I am quite new to this game (only 18 month of real searching) and I keep thinking that I am missing something really obvious! :-\

Tracy :(
Judd - Warwickshire
DESLONGRAIS  - MAURITIUS/WALES/WARWICKSHIRE
Durand-Deslongrais - Mauritius/France
Neboden - Mauritius/France
Marks - Staffs/Warwicks
Menday, Lynch, French, Wright - Bermondsey/Southwark
Pett, Lowe, Kelly, Woolf, Baker, Winn, Wilkinson - North London
Tiplady - Bedfordshire