Author Topic: Marriage-Owens and McMillan  (Read 4780 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage-Owens and McMillan
« on: Thursday 08 March 07 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, Im wondering if anybody can find me the parents of Charles McMillan, who married Catherine Owens, in Belfast in March 1880. Her parents were Bernard Owens and Eliza Fox.
The family moved to Scotland around 3 years after the marriage.
Regards
Matthew
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage-Owens and McMillan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 07 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

It would be to your advantage to order a marriage entry as you know where and when they were married.

It will tell you who was his father.

I have checked one database--it seems your couple may have not registered the marriage with the Register Office.

However, it is a good chance that their names may be mistranscribed.

I think you would have to put a wee request with this website and they will check whether your couple is in the indexes or not. Only one pound per year!

Here's: www.familyulster.com

Good luck,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 07 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

I found various siblings of your Catherine's in Ireland. It seems she was born before the Civil Registration started in Ireland.

However, it seems that her parents may be originally from Co Tyrone. At some point, they moved to Co Down.

Peter Owens born on 26 Jan 1865 in Clonavaddy, Tyrone, Ireland to the parents of Bernard Owens & Eliza Fox
(This son had passed away sometimes between 1865 & 1869)

Peter Owens 25 Nov 1869 in Downpatrick, Downpatrick, Co Down to the same parents above

Bernard Owens 8 Nov 1871 in Downpatrick, Downpatrick, Co Down to the same parents above (on the database, it leaves his father name blank? But it clearly showed his mother as Eliza Fox)

Eliza Owens 19 Apr 1874 in same location and to the same parents above

Joseph Owens 27 Dec 1879 in same location and to the same parents above

Strange birth registration--

Christina Owens 5 Jun 1874 in Downpatrick, Downpatrick, Co Down to the mother Elizabeth Owens (wondering if it is yours)

Possible baptism record but I think it is not yours because I saw other entries like this one in same area but with different mother...(in 1860s and 1870s)

Never know if there were two Bernard Owens from same area...

A Parish Baptism Entry on

John Owen
Male
Father's name: Bernard Owens
Baptism date: 14 May 1857
in Dromore Roman Catholic Church in the District of Omagh, Co Tyrone

Matthew, I think Catherine's parents were married in Co Tyrone--possibly in Roman Catholic Church--try to start with 1865 Birth Registration in Clonavaddy, Co Tyrone--to see if they have a baptism entry on him. If so, then ask if they have a marriage entry on her parents and on Catherine herself. If not, then try Downpatrick, Co Down churches.

Also, you can try and check death indexes on Peter Owens (b. 1865) to see where he died--it will help you to see where the family were--in Co Tyrone or Co Down...I think he may had died in Co Down.

As to Charles' parents--I am afraid that I could not find him without any information from his marriage certificate--it seems he and Catherine did not register their marriage OR Catherine may had previously married before that we may "overlook" her marriage to him with her married surname.

Hope this information is helpful in pointing your research in the direction.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 07 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees, this info is very helpful, I had got the birth records for the Owens kids, but not Bernard, so thats another Owens I'll be on the hunt for!!
Thankyou for your work its greatly appreciated. I know of another child of bernard and Eliza, Mary Ann Owens, born around 1862, so just before registration was introduced, which is annoying-shes my g g grandmother!! I'll see what I can find, I'm going over to Dungannon in August, I'll pop into Clonavaddy and have a nose around!
Thanks again
Matthew

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

It's my pleasure to help you out even if it is not much to start with!!

Do keep us posted on your findings in Co Tyrone! Now you have a range of years to look for your gg grandmother and her parents!

Wish you the best of luck and every success in finding them!

Regards,

Tees

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have one more question thats been puzling. My g granny told my gran Mary Ann was born in Armagh, I know Clonavaddy is in Dungannon? Is Dungannon in both Tyrone and Armagh? If so it makes finding her a lot more difficult!!
Matthew

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

My apologies! I am not based in NI but I do have a heaps of relations there.

I have no idea about this BUT...I think it is not surprising to have two places named same in two different counties!

Birth entry clearly stated it is in Co Tyrone...which is a bit distance from Co Armagh. Unless this place is on the border of both counties which may account for two different counties because one part of town may be in Co Armagh and other in Co Tyrone (must get myself a map to remind me where are the counties!).

Have you googled on this names in both counties to see if they DO have places with same name?

It may be that your g gran told gran on memory but it may be jumbled up with other locations' names. Sort of a Chinese Whisper, if you will!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline jmc29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 00:50 GMT (UK) »
HI,
I HAVE A CHARLES MCMULLEN B.1847 AND A CATHERINE MCMULLEN B 1855 CHILDREN ARE WINIFRED CATHERINE JAMES AND MARY IM NOT SURE IF THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BUT GOOD LUCK ALL THE SAME
REGARDS JEN

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 07 02:30 GMT (UK) »

Bernard Owens 8 Nov 1871 in Downpatrick, Downpatrick, Co Down to the same parents above (on the database, it leaves his father name blank? But it clearly showed his mother as Eliza Fox)

Matthew,

Remember this birth entry?? Well, it turned out that the database I was using--they do not like to repeat the "same name" which means that if a male baby's name is the same as his father's--they will leave it blank. It seems to be a general pattern on this database.

I only noticed this to-day when helping other Rootschatter with the birth entries.

So, it is indeed yours.

But I would like to know how you get on with other Owens especially your g g grandmother's and her parents' marriage record!

Good luck,

Tees

PS Happy St Patrick's Day to you and yours!!