Author Topic: Marriage-Owens and McMillan  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage-Owens and McMillan
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 March 07 09:35 GMT (UK) »
A while back I did find Bernard Owens and Eliza Fox in the Ros Davies, parents of peter Owens, thats Down however
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 March 07 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees, I was wondering if you could look something up on emeraldancestors for me. Ive found Michael Hughes, botn in Armagh between 1862-1868. Family say he was born in Lurgan, his parents were Patrick Hughes and Bridget, her maiden name is tricky, two certificate have her down as Fachen and Feehan, Im presuming it might be Fagan, the Irish acent being misinterpreted in Scotland!!!
Michael is who married Mary Ann after she was widowed, in Scotland. He is my g g  grandad
Regards]
Matthew

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 March 07 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

Re: Peter Owens, just a wee  reminder--we do have TWO Peter Owens being born to the same set of parents but at the different times and different places in NI.

I would follow up on the first Peter Owens who died and the parents had another boy named after him because it will give you a lead on to where as to his parents may had gotten married and to the set of earlier children being born to them. That is my strong feeling--I believe you can contact the town council in Co Tyrone (Clonavaddy) to see what churches they have then contact all the Roman Catholic churches until you "hit" the jackpot.

I did look up on your Michael Hughes--no birth registration with the parents you were seeking. The closest one was with a mother named Mary McKenna in 1865 (this is only the one with the father named Patrick).

It's my pleasure to assist you with your family history. :)

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 March 07 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Tees, I just wish they werent so difficult to find.  :(
I have contacted the Dungannon Parish via email, if they can tell me where I can lok I can do so first hand when I visit in August. I dont get much time to do this anyore as Im at school too!
Thankyou for your research it is very much appreciated. Im guessing if Peter was born in Clonavaddy, mary Ann was older than him (fact) so she may have been so too. The family say she was born in Armagh, I know how close Dungannon is to there, so Im getting there, but slowly!!
Thanks again
Matthew ;D

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 March 07 13:47 GMT (UK) »
All of this just makes you realise how important it is for you to leave the facts behind for your children, wriiten down, much has been "chinese whispered" down my family :-\

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 March 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
All of this just makes you realise how important it is for you to leave the facts behind for your children, wriiten down, much has been "chinese whispered" down my family :-\

Hi Matthew,

I absolutely agreed with you on this one. I found many "wrong" information on two certain families in Co Antrim regarding the ownership of their farms.

My own uncle challenged me about my great grandfather's birth year because he focused so much on the age being listed on the one census he and I have. I tried explained to him the ages are often not so reliable due to many factors in this case I believe he made himself a bit younger because his wife is much younger than him or he actually do not know his exact age.

Eventually, he seems to agree with my assessment and my findings.

I also have to verify the facts that was given me from my Mum's family--found that the information was a bit erroneous because somehow it changed over the time. Now I know my cousins would be over the moon when I sent them the copies of entries I just got on last Friday. Extremely pleased but a bit worried now because I found that my g g grandparents' fathers were still alive (where and when they passed on??) and two new relatives were on the records--how to fit them into my family tree???

Do let me know how you get on with the church which you recently e-mailed as I am interested in your family "story."

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 August 07 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees, just letting you know Im of tomorrow to Ireland, with my friend. His family have very kindly said that we can go to Clonavaddy for the day sometime betwen tomorrow and the 19th, so I'll see what I can find out there, Ive got one day so Im taking all the info Ive got and Im going to go for it, the closest stab Ive got at finding anything out once and for all. If all goes well the Owens' family wont stay hidden much longer. Ive got Peter Owens born 1865, and died before 1869, so surely if nothing else, I'll be able to confirm the family were in Tyrone/Clonavaddy.
Bye for now, I'll let you know how I get on
Regards
Matthew

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 August 07 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

I wish you the best of luck and every success in tracing your Owens.

Do have a grand time in Ireland!

Looking forward to your next post!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hey Tees, just letting you know
I visited Clonavaddy (after asking for directions). There were alot of baffled faces and plenty of "dont you mean Clonavaddy Rd?"s lol
Turns out Clonavaddy isnt signposted and is about 10 houses on a road and that is it! It falls under the Dungannon Parish Im sure of it, but it was absolutely drenching rain and I couldnt find anything, it was a 3 hour drive from where I was satying in Ramelton, Co Donegal. Better luck next time, I reckon my best bet is Co. Down, I know at least 4 of the family were there at some point!

Regards
Matthew :)