Author Topic: Marriage-Owens and McMillan  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage-Owens and McMillan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 07 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tees, you enjoy St Paddy's Day too ;D
I found Bernard's marriage certificate on scotlandspeole. He married a lady called Elizabeth Carey in 1889, so he was 18, she was 23. He was a sailmaker at the time and in the 1891 census, he is away at sea!
Another little piece of the tree filled in. Thanks for your help
matthew
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 March 07 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

That's great!! So that was his birth entry??

It is such a nice feeling to have a blank being filled in, isn't it??  ;D

Happy St Paddy's Day to you as well!

Regards,

Tees

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 07 18:13 GMT (UK) »
It certainly was him! Tahnks for the work, how did you find it, as I tried on IGI and it wouldnt let me, it said I had to fill in more fields!!
Its great but now it seems bernard and Eliza had quite a bigger family. To think this time last year I only had Mary Ann and her daughter, my g g ranny, now theres loads of them all over the place! :)
Regards
Matthew

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 07 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

I only learnt this recently--regarding the Irish databases online, not all are complete databases. That is why you can find some records on one site but not on others. Go figure, eh?  ::)

Those birth records I got are off the www.emeraldancestors.com

It has an excellent marriage databases for NI. Not so good with births & death records.

Do you know if your Bernard was a farmer or what was his occupation? Know when roughly he died?

I can take a peek to see if he left a will or not. Useful genealogical data as it will enable you to see who's whom in the family.

Once again, it is my pleasure to help you out!

Kind regards,

Tees

PS Will try its marriage database again to see if there is any marriage record for this couple. They should be there since you said they weren't Catholic...

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 March 07 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou tees, yes Bernard owens (the father married to Eliza Fox), was a farmer, although one certificate says School janitor but I dont know about that!
Bernard and Eliza moved to Scotland around 1882, and bernard died in 1884 aged 44 in Glasgow, Kelvin I think.
They may have married in Clonavaddy, Im going over there in the summer to check things out.
On Bernard's death certificate, the details would have been entered by Mary Ann, so as she was grieving I dont know what is concrete. On the Death cert, Mary Ann has put bernards father as Richard Owens, and no mother is mentioned. Either Bernard was illigitemate,(unlikely, good Catholic family!!) or Mary An didint know her granny or was struck by grief.
Thats all I have, I do know one of Mary Ann's sisters, Catherine, married a Charles McMillan in 1880, in Belfast though.
Thanks for looking these things out for me I havent got a clue where to research the Irish stuff from
Regards
Matthew

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 March 07 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Just an extra contextual note, but it is interesting that Mary Ann signed Bernard's death certificate, ad not hs wife Eliza. Family word of mouth says bernard died on the crossing from Ireland to Scotland. This could have been it, but Mary Ann was already living in Scotland at Bernards death. The family also say Mary Ann came to Scotlansd first, worked as a laundress in a castle, and saved her wages to bring her parents over, and her family.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 07 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

Sorry to disappoint you again--I could not find your couple (McMillan & Owens). Think they did not register the marriage but got married in the church.

That explains why I am unable to locate any Bernard Owens death.

Still no sign of Bernard Owens & his wife Eliza Fox marriage.

I think you would have to hop on a ferry to NI and drive to Co Tyrone as that is where Dungannon/Clonavaddy.

Best wishes,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 March 07 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Ah, they are Catholics. That may explains why we could not find any marriage entry on the databases!

Have you tried this www.ancestryireland.com to see if they have a marriage entry on Catherine Owens & Charles McMillan as it covered Co Antrim & Co Down?

As to Bernard & Eliza marriage, you need to get this information from the parish church register books. You can google on the town then find which church you "think" is your family's. Then write or ring them to see if they could be of any help. Small donation would be much appreciated in this kind of request.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 March 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees, thans Im going to Dungannon in August, but before I get there it would be useful to get the Church the family were in, shouldnt be too hard, but the trouble is finding if both Bernard and Eliza were from Tyrone, or just one, when going through the records. I'll give the parochial records a try, thanks again you're a great help
regards
Matthew