Author Topic: Hughes - Wellington area  (Read 1994 times)

Offline jhu23456

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hughes - Wellington area
« on: Friday 09 March 07 18:09 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to Wellington area  census, love to know if you came across John Hughes born around 1831. 

All I know is he lived his life as a Brewer labor in Birmingham, but list his birth place as "Wellington, Salop".

I've never been able to go further, and can not find anything else.
No Birth Certificate, no marriage (Hannah Hiscock), only have the census 1871, 1881, 1891.

Thanks!

Moderator comment: topic split
Hughes, Hiscock, Birmingham, Kings Norton, Kings Heath, Aston Cross, Worcestershire, Wellington, Salop, Shropshire, Upper Arley, Pound Green,

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes - Wellington area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 07 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi - The 1871 census gives John's place of birth as Aston, and I thought it would be Birmingham, but there is an Aston a few miles out of Wellington Shropshire.

Only able to take you back to 1861.
Kings Norton, Worcestershire.
head - John Hughes age 30, labourer, born Wellington, Salop.
wife - Hannah Hughes age 27, born Ru????han, Bucks
son - John Hughes age 3, born Paddington, Middlesex.

You need the marriage certificate, and with John jnr being born in London I wonder if the Islington marriage is a possibility, but you have a name Hiscock?

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 07 10:56 GMT (UK) »

I have been helping jhu with his search, via email.

He has 3 birth certificates for John and Hannah's children, and her maiden name is confirmed as HISCOCK.

I have been trying to find a marriage, but as yet have had no luck....I'm still trawling through the Index on Ancestry.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 07 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Lloydy - fred

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 07 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if anyone has looked for a birth for Hannah, there only seems to be one Hannah Hiscock which would tie in with a possible marriage and birth of a child in one of the London boroughs.

Hannah Hiscock registered Jan qtr V111 83  Shaftesbury. 1844

and at the end of 1845 there is a Jane Hiscock registered Shaftesbury, a possible sister?

The ink on the pages on view is pretty faded.  fred

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 07 18:52 GMT (UK) »

wife - Hannah Hughes age 27, born Ru????han, Bucks

Hannah's place of birth, I think, is Remenham, Bucks, because in other census her place of birth is stated as Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire.  Both very close to each other, and in the Henley registration district.  She would have been born in c1834.

I have possibles for Hannah and her family in the 1841 and 1851 census, but it's John we are stuck on.  I can't find him in the 1841 or 1851 (nothing concrete anyway), and I'm still struggling to find a marriage.

John's place of birth of Wellington, Shropshire is consistent in the census, and you mentioned Aston in the 1871 which is very close to Wellington.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 07 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hello jhu

Have you had any luck in finding a marriage for John and Hannah?

I have just re-read some of the PM's I've received from you.....any luck yet?

Jan

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 07 21:52 BST (UK) »

Hello again

As it's been some time since we were in contact, I was just checking to see how you are getting on with this.  Any luck at all?

Jan